Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Humid runswim.

Getting ready for the 5K Saturday, so I ran my 3.3 mi route. Time was a bit sucky, 35:14, but the humidity was oppressive and my misadventurous July saw so few running miles that I need to rebuild a bit.

We enjoyed a lovely rainfall for some of the night, so when I went out to run in the morning the humidity smacked me the moment I hit the door. The temp was reasonable, about 85F, but the air was so humid that I was drenched within a few minutes, and at times I felt like I was wading through water. When I got back to the house, Jen looked up the humidity, which was listed at 79%. I think it might have been even a bit higher in some of the places where I ran.

Weightlifting is going great. I am getting in quality sets and my strength is improving. I have been doing some lifts and exercises that I don't like and have assiduously avoided over the years, so I think I'm building muscle in new areas which helps me dramatically improve my overall strength. I have always hated pulls ups/chin ups, and have never been able to do more than 3 or 4, regardless of my overall condition. I like dips but do them poorly, and have not done seated rows in years. So, I started using the pull up and dip machine, which allows me to offset my weight and get in a decent number of reps and sets. And, the seated rows seem to be going well. Since starting these lifts, I have noticed that other lifts (like lat press downs, pull downs, etc) have improved.

Despite the work, I have NOT jumped on the scale. I am way too heavy, and I think my wimpy running schedule in July has resulted in me gaining weight. Not fine muscle weight, but blob weight. I have noticed that my clothes don't fit quite as loosely as they should, but the problem is in my waist and not muscled areas. I need to lose a significant amount of weight if I'm going to make 5 hours in my next marathon. So, I'm back on the proverbial water wagon. I don't drink alcohol for religious reasons, but I love root beer and flavored lemonades. Sadly, they have been excised from my diet until after the KC marathon in October. I'll jump on the scale before the next marathon, but am afraid that if I weigh myself now I'll be too discouraged.

Busy week ahead, so we'll see how it goes.

2 comments:

Gawdess said...

When I read about your strength workouts I am always inspired, okay not that I do anything about it right now but I am inspired to think about doing something about it!



I drink alcohol very, very rarely, don't like it for many reasons and it is not a place that I want to spend my calories - but I too like sweet beverages way more than I do water.



Where I live we don't get much humidity and for me, sometimes it is the arid conditions that seem so hard to work out in.

Looking forward to hearing about your 5k and your family cheering you on.


Have fun!

Jennifer said...

Soda's and Lemonades should be excised from your diet except for VERY special occasions i.e. birthdays, holidays NOT Fridays