Sunday, August 26, 2007

General Update


I have not posted in a couple of weeks, so I'll go for the mass block update.

The last few weeks have been very hectic, which has greatly impacted my training. Specifically, my weightlifting has been outstanding, but my running has been quite poor.

The biggest issue has been my work schedule. Heather is getting married this Saturday, so I've had to put in odd hours so that I can take time off for the wedding (and pay for the wedding and reception). While the groom and his family live about five miles from us, our little lovelies decided that they wanted to get married in Utah, which is 900+ miles away. So, the marriage is this Saturday, with the reception here in Nebraska the following Saturday (Sept 8). Both will be simple and modest, but I think both will be a great deal of fun for the happy couple and their friends.

The second schedule killer was that we agreed to take a sibling group of 4 children for an emergency (30 day) foster placement. This brings our total to 54 foster kids since 1988. Woo Hoo! The 30 days ended last Friday and the kids were moved to long term homes. While we can't comment on cases for privacy reasons, I can say that behaviors on the part of the foster kids and their family made this a very difficult placement for us. The kids problems impacted my afternoon running schedule, and their family habits (sleep until 1:00 in the afternoon and stay awake until 3:00 am or later) was a constant struggle. I like to run in the evernings after kids have gone to bed (usually 9:00 p.m. to midnight), but these foster kids came from a family which does not understand what bed time is about. We sent them to their rooms at 10:00, but they sat on their beds and made noise until the early morning. And, because of their belligerance, I could not leave.

Anyway, lifting has gone quite well. I have hit the weights 13 times so far this month, which is quite satisfying. And, I'll keep hitting the weights all the way through to the Marathon.

I did run another 5K a week ago. The time was a bit slower than the 5K the week before, but I am happy with the result. The kids one miler was first, but David, our 7 year old, was having a icky day. This was his 8th or 9th one miler, but this time he started whining and wanted me to run with him. I did, but he stopped several times along the way. He did finish, which is important, but his time was around 15 minutes (as compared to 9 minutes and change the week before). I then had just enough time to grab a drink of water a stretch a tiny bit before my race began. So, I did a one miler, stopped, and then did a 3.1 miler. The route went through the University of Nebraska Campus and around Haymarket park, so it was a lovely run. It had a couple of large overpasses which substituted quite nicely for hills so I got a bit of a hill workout. The run was in the morning so the temp was reasonable, but the humidity was still high. No injuries and a decent time (for me, anyway) so a successful run.

With the kiddos leaving on Friday, I was able to play in a slow pitch softball tournament on Saturday. I pitched 2 full games without relief and went 2-0! I also umpired one game. I didn't check on my stats, but I gave up 4 earned runs over the two games, with several K's and only two walks (both walks in the second game). My hitting was a bit rusty, as I had four hits over the two games, with only 2 RBI'S and I scored once. Of course, I would like to beat my chest about my fine pitching performance, but the fact that we cranked out 17 runs over the two games helped quite a bit!

1 comment:

Gawdess said...

Well you have certainly been busy and that is the way running is for us parent types, it gives way for what the family is needing.
a friend who is an ultra marathoner maintains that there is a reason that the people who excel regularly at these sports can do that and it is that they either don't have kids because they are before that stage of their life or because they are coming to running after their kids have all grown up and left home.
(She didn't factor weddings in:)
I have been wanting to read your wife's blog, but unlike yours, I cannot access it through bloglines or other feed readers, which makes it way easier to see when a new post is up - so I am going to go over there now and catch up on what has been happening on the home front.

Good work on managing to be so active anyway!