Tuesday, September 11, 2007

40 Days until the KC Marathon

Entry for Monday, September 10, 2007

Ran my 3.3 mi route tonight. Went to Cornell's football game before the run so I got a late start (around 23:30). Overall, it was a cool and cloudy day. The high temp was 60F, and it was a bit humid. The clouds at sunset were blue and grey with twinges of a beautiful red. The temp was about 50F when I ran, so I ran in a sweater.

Before I yak further about my running, I need to boast about our son Cornell. He plays wide receiver on the Southeast High School Varsity football team, but after 3 games has caught only 1 pass because the QB can't seem to throw the football. The QB has only thrown him 4 other passes, and all 4 have either been grossly over-thrown or way under-thrown. The team has scored only three TD's in three games - all losses.

Anyway, the coach asked Cornell if he wanted to play one game with the JV. The coach played the JV QB in the last Varsity game, and it looks as though the JV QB might take over the Varsity starting role before the end of the season. So, I think the coach wanted the JV QB and Cornell to work together for a game.

The results were fantastic. In the 1st half alone, Cornell caught two TD passes, and for his second TD he sprinted about 40 yards after the catch to outran the safety for the score (Cornell also runs track, and qualified for the state meet as a sophomore in the 4 x 400 relay). He also played defense and picked a pass and ran it about 20 yards or so before being run out of bounds. In the second half, he ran a reverse for 11 yards and a 1st down, recovered a turnover when the other team muffed the kickoff, and recoved the ball when his QB fumbled. He also had several big tackles on defense. Two TD passes for 96 yds, and 108 all purpose yds on only three plays, plus the rest. Not a bad day.

I especially enjoy seeing my kids having a great time while doing well, and being good sports about it. Today was a wonderful and memorable day for Cornell. And I love writing about my children.

Now my running.

Interesting run tonight. First, I started very late (which is not that unusual). However, with 40 days to go, the IPod is now officially on the shelf. Why? According to the KC Marathon rules, IPods and the like are prohibited for "safety" reasons. I have run with the IPod for several months and have used the music beat for pacing. I now have to transition to no music. Boo Hoo.

Running with and without music has had a curious effect. I started using the IPod months ago because I had pacing problems. I would speed up, slow down, speed up again, slow down again, all the way through the run. So, I started using the IPod, and loaded it with music with a steady beat. Initially, I ran slower with the IPod, but eventually my tempo improved and I reduced my times substantially.

Monday night, no IPod. I started with an even tempo and picked up the pace. I was a bit tired and, with all the recent wedding stuff and my gross over-eating for the past two weeks, I didn't want to push myself. This was more of a "get it done" run than a "woo hoo" run. With this in mind, I didn't do a sprint split per se, but ran two "faster paced" splits and, quite frankly, overall felt like I was running very fast. It felt great, and I was actually surprised at how fast I ran! Until I checked my stop watch. My time was actually slow: 35:15. A second slower than my Aug 7 pace, and 3:36 slower than my best time. I was a bit off my 5 K pace in the last two races, but I expected that because in the races I am competing (and that get's me quite excited) and I do a big sprint to the finish. No big sprint this time, which would have shaved 10 or 15 second off my time.

The bottom line is that, with music banging loudly in my ears, I have a different perspective than when I'm running without music. Regardless, no IPod for KC, so I'll just have to get used to it.

No comments: