Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Good run, new walking plan

Ran my 3.3 mi route in 33:44, immediately followed by a 1 mile walking split (14:58). The run time was solid, but the walk time was not so hot.

This is the 32nd time I ran the 3.3 mi route, but it's the first time I ran the route in reverse. I have always run the route clockwise because of the terrain. The first .4 mi is flat or downhill, followed by a steep but short uphill. At about the .8 mark, the route takes an approx 1 mile rolling hill stretch which is mostly down hill, and has a couple of spots which are steep downhills (steep by Nebraska standards, of course, not by San Francisco or Omaha or KCMO standards), followed by a .6 mile flat stretch. The final stretch has a gradual uphill for just under half a mile, followed by a pretty flat half mile home. I like this route because it breaks up the uphills nicely. I have a steep uphill near the front, and a gradual uphill near the end.

By reversing my route, the approx 1 mile down hill stretch becomes a nice uphill stretch. And, those two aforementioned steep downhills become two steep uphills, with the steepest part being around the 2.5 mile mark.

In some ways, its like living half way up a hill. If you leave the house and start uphill, you face only half the hill to start, then get a nice long down hill to recoup before facing the other half of the uphill. If, however, you start down hill, when you get to the bottom you have to run up the entire hill all at once. The distance is the same, but the workout is very different. Since I'm prepping for hills, taking the hill at once is the better training option.

The walk time was pathetic, and as noted in my last entry I'm going walk one mile immediately upon finishing every run, regardless of how far I run. The walk will be timed, and I want to complete it in 13 minutes without jogging or running at all. This will help me in the later stages of the next race, when I will have to rely on well timed walking splits to help me finish the race on schedule.

Of note, not much lifting in September, by design. My weight lifting will taper off this month, with only a few lifts in October before the race. I have lifted a lot in preparation for this next race (44 times), with most of these being lengthy, very heavy sessions (lat pressdowns at over 200 lbs, pec flies at over 300 lbs, etc, 5 to 10 sets on many exercises). My strength has increased dramatically, and is almost to where it was three years ago. But my shoulders starting getting sore and I don't wish to risk an injury before the race, so it was time to throttle back.

Of note, this was my 5th fastest time on this route, and I was only 2:16 off my fastest time. In comparison to other runs, I ran the 5K (3.1) mile Thunder Run in 32:19. I was 1:25 slower today, but I ran .2 mi longer on a route that has a long and steep uphill. The Thunder run is absolutely flat - it's run on an active aircraft runway which is about the flatest running surface you'll find anywhere. Also, I was well rested when I ran my best 3.3 mi time, and was having a great day (it was my birthday). In comparison, I went 12.2 mi yesterday, and I was still sore from that run. Overall, I'm pleased with the results.

Tactical decision: I'm NOT going to run any route over 16 miles until after the Marathon. I have gone over 20 miles three times this year already, including one marathon, and each time it took me many days to recover. I know I can finish 26.2 miles. So, I need to run just far enough to make sure my body efficiently burns glycogen stores and is otherwise ready for the race. I think I can do that with a couple of 16 milers (one next week and one the week after) with most 8.5's, 5.5 two a days, with a few 3.3's thrown in.

No comments: