Thursday, September 27, 2007

Cool run!

A cool 8.5 mi run today! In fact, it was a bit too cool. The temp was a bit cooler than I expected, but I didn't realize the problem until I was well out the door without a sweater. I eventually became quite uncomfortable and very tight.

I had planned to start around 5:30. I got out of bed in time (4:50), but had a case of the slows. I was very tired and had a horrible time getting moving. I didn't actually get out the door until just after 6:00 am. Bad, bad, bad, because that meant that I would have to cross traffic lights on Normal Blvd in heavy traffic, which takes time.

My 8.5 mile time was solid: 1:39:27 (99:27 min). My 26th run on this route. My 3rd best time, and only the 4th run where I've broken 1:40:00 (100 min). My best time came a few days before the Lincoln Marathon, when I ran a 1:33:58 (93:58 min). During the Lincoln Marathon, I ran the first 8.5 mi in approx 1:35:49 (95:49 min). I'll be running this distance several times in the next three weeks, and expect my time to improve to close to the 1:30:00 mark. We shall see.

I started very tight, completing the first leg in 9:41. I am now usually under 9 min. I reached the Hwy 2 Trail - Rock Island Trail merge (about the 2.6 mile mark) in 28:39, which is 47 seconds slower than my 2nd best time. I am shooting for under 27 min. I ran the Rock Island Trail segment in 28:33 (again, I'm shooting for under 27 min), and reached the Zoo merge at 57:12. My goal is to reach the merge in under 54:00 min. I hit one light which took about 20 seconds or so, and by the time I got back up to speed it cost me around 30 seconds. Bummer.

The next segment went slow, but for a different reason - traffic. I hit both traffic lights, and arrived at the longest light just as it turned red. I also got stuck for a few seconds at a busy, uncontrolled intersection. I tightened up a bit and had to get restarted three times, which is a pain. My time from the Zoo to 48th Street, which is about 1.75 miles (or so), was an ugly 23:53. Still, I arrived at 48th street at 1:21:06 (81:06). Because I'm training for hills, I saved the big hill for last. I completed the final segment, around 1.5 miles, in 18:20. Normally, when running this segment as a down hill, I almost always finish in 15:45 ish. Since I'm taking it as an uphill, I would give myself an extra minute or so and finish in 17:00 or less. Didn't get that today. On the bright side, not a bad overall time and, considering where I'm at in the trainings schedule, I'll take it!

As noted in my previous entry, I now walk 1 mile (for time) after each run, regardless of how far I go. I was pretty tight when I finished, and my walk time was horrible! 17:14. I'll need to do better than that if I want to improve my walking splits to the point that I can shave significant time off my last marathon finish time.

I won't get to the weights today, as Cornell had a football game. I thought about going before the game, but I forgot about the SCC adjunct faculty dinner! Oh well.

No comments: