Friday, September 28, 2007

Chili Cook Off!


With an 8.5 mi yesterday and a 12 mi coming up tomorrow, I took today off and made chili for our church's chili cookoff!

AND I WON!!! WOO HOO!

There were only 24 or so entries, but the different batches of chili were actually very good! I think all the contestants had kids and were used to making good tasting food. And, because of the kiddies, all the entries were mild and flavorful. I tried them all! Of course, with a big run tomorrow, gorging myself on chili tonight may have been a bad idea. We shall see.

Before I get into my chili, I need to thank my wife, Jennifer. This week was ugly, and Jennifer kept me on schedule for making my chili. I am very grateful.
The foundation for my chili was the cubed pork and beef brisket we had left over from Heather's wedding reception. The meat had already been cubed and well marinated two days before the reception, but when we finished assembling the kabobs we had meat left over so we froze it. It was outstanding! I included some beans, three different types of peppers, some red onion, soy sauce, broth, and one of my favorite ingredients: Napolitos (cactus). Add some spices, and we have chili. Of course, as we were getting things into and out of the fridge, I noticed that we had a fairly good quantity of Pastrami left. So, as we were putting things away and getting ready to head out the door, I grabbed the Pastrami, pulled some of it apart, and tossed it into the chili! Why? dunno. But, it tasted good, and there were only a few scrapings of the chili left to take home.

Many of the entries were noteworthy. Two entered vegetarian chili, with one containing garbonzo beans and the other having a wonderful assortment of chopped vegetables. One chili was chicken based using a green sauce. It was mostly gone before I was able to starting eating, and I think I had about a tablespoon or less. When everyone eats the chili, you know its good. The second place entry was made with a batch of home made salsa. Very nice. Another one tasted like a chili version of a tortilla soup, and was quite good. A couple of folks went for the basic and simple approach and kept the ingredients limited, but they blended the right ingredients in the right quantities, and it sure tasted good. If I had the time, I could make good comments on every entry. Anyway, a wonderful event.

Chili was not the only competition, as "cinnamon rolls" were also on the menu. While a lot of folks made entries, by the time I arrived ALL of the rolls had been eaten, and I did not get a single one! Not even real piece! I missed out!

Well, back to the grind tomorrow, as the next marathon will be only three weeks away!

No comments: