Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Back to the hill route!

Entry for Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Ran the hill route today (5.5 mi). Time was 63:22, which was good considering the lateness of the hour, the long lay off, and the horrendous amount of food I've chomped down in the past few weeks. Started strong with a 15:45 first split, and hit the top of the "big hill" at 34:33 (about 3 miles or so). I wallowed a bit in places without the IPod (see yesterday's posting for that story), and would have had a better time had I kept better track of my pace. Pacing without the IPod will be a continuing theme as I prepare for my next Marathon. My wallowing was particularly grievous for about a quarter of a mile or so up the hill, and again in the "rolling hill" portion at about the 3.5 or so mile mark. I ran the last mile and a half in under 15 minutes, which was excellent for me.

The weather was wonderful, 57F when I left the house (around 23:20). Got a very late start again, this time because my wife Jen is sick an I had to look after her before hitting the road. However, a gorgeous, star-lit night, and a lovely night for a run.

Very good lift this morning. I did 5 sets on the bench, including a solid set at 225 lbs. I started on the bench as usual, but with a long day ahead didn't want to push the bench too much. Monster sets on the biceps, triceps, pec flies (one set of 8 reps at over 300 lbs) and reverse flies. Finished with abs and a good stretch.

Closing thought. I worked out of my home this afternoon because Jen was sick and asked me to come home. I jogged over to the elementary school to pick up David (about 1 mile round trip), and David was excited to be able to walk home. As I met him at the school, he sported a huge grin, started running, and then yelled back "race you to the corner." He had a big start, and was very happy when he reached the corner before I did. He then took my hand and we walked together, but after we crossed the last intersection he took off running again, looking back with that same joyful grin. He ran all the way to the front door. I was tickled to see my 7 year old so happy! Of course, the mood changed when he walked in the front door, as he asked to watch TV and mom said "homework and chores!" Regardless, I will always remember him turning around with that great big smile and happily, innocently running. What a day!

No comments: