Monday, September 24, 2007

Experimental 12 miler

Ran a 12.2 miler today. This was an experimental run, as I tested several different things in preparation for the upcoming KC Marathon. The most important thing I learned was that I should only test one thing at time, because too much variation leads to muscle cramps!

Anyway, I was going over the numbers from the Lincoln Marathon and some preliminary projections for the KC Marathon. As I've stated before, I'm not an uber-runner, so I can't just go out and run a marathon. I have to make a very careful plan and stick to it like glue, while maintaining enough flexibility to change when necessary.

My general plan in the Lincoln Marathon was to run the first 15 miles in 3:10:30, and then jog-walk the remaining 11.2 miles to finish between 6:03:30 and 6:05:30 (I actually finished in 6:00:02). I finished ahead of schedule, so by definition things went well, but as I looked at my times certain facts stood out.

The biggie: I finished miles 15 through 25 in 15+ minutes each, and mile 26 in 14:58. And I was jog- walking at that. By this point I have learned to ignore most magazines, but the fact remains that just about everything I read says that a person in reasonably good health should be able to WALK a mile in 12 minutes. I jog-walked mile 19 in 17:03, and that was mostly jogging! One could easily deduce that I was actually jogging slower than I could walk. If, in the next marathon, I were to finish the first 15 miles in the same time as the last, but reduced my jog-walk time to 14 minutes a mile for the last 11.6, I could reduce my overall time by over 20 minutes. Even walking each mile in 15 minutes would reduce my overall time by approx 10 minutes.

Armed with this information, I started my basic 11.4 mile route (with a few extra's at the end) around lunch. I initially got off to a rough start. I was wearing my camel back, was very tight, and I was stopped at every single intersection that was controlled by a traffic light in the first 5 miles (and by 9 out of the 10 lights on the route). I ran the first 4 miles, and during this time did two long, hard sprint splits. The first split went just under two minutes, followed by a couple of minutes of walking and another long hard sprint split. I ended the sprint split at the mile marker, and walked to the next marker. The time for the walking mile was a HORRIBLE 16:05. I did get a business call that I had to take, but that probably cost me just a few seconds at most. I didn't actually record my time at the Zoo merge, so I'm unsure of how long it took.

I started jogging again at the Zoo merge and ran the next approx two miles, took a short walking split, then jogged up the hill on 56th street. This was an important uphill run, as the KC marathon is a bit hilly. This segment went quite well.

I then jog walked on the rolling hills and, as I dug into my pack, I came to an stark realization: I left one of my bottles of gatorade in the fridge. I didn't have my water bladder in the camelback, and I was out of all fluid at around the 9 or so mile mark. Furtunately, a fast food place is located on the corner, so I jumped in and bought two bottles of water, and drank one as I headed out the door.

I then began my second walking mile at the corner of 56th and the HWY 2 trail. The mile took almost EXACTLY the same amount of time as the first mile (about 16:03). That is a problem.

At the conclusion of that mile, I wanted to run the last 1.2 miles or so. It was not to be. Both legs began cramping fairly significantly as I ran, so I walked the rest of the way.

The two sprint splits were designed to tax me, and they did. I also pushed myself up the hill, which went well. The walk splits did not go well. I have had a problem, over the past 600 miles or so, whenever I have a walking split over about 3 or so minutes in a run. After about 4 or 5 minutes or walking, I have had significant difficulty getting back into a good running rhythm. I was able to restart after the first mile split, but not after the second.

I will rely heavily on my walking intervals in the last half of the marathon. So, from now until the marathon, I will do a timed mile immediately after every run. Hopefully, this will help me remedy this problem under realistic circumstances.

Otherwise, I may have to buy new shoes because these shoes have quite a bit of miles on them. We shall see.

No comments: