Sunday, August 12, 2007

Thunder Run

What a difference a year makes.

David and I ran the Thunder Run again this year. David did the kids 1 Mi, and I ran the 5K (3.1 mi)., and we both improved fairly dramatically over our performance last year.
David did great. Last year, he completed the mile in 12:03. This year he shaved off 2:20 to finish in 9:43. He improved 30 places to place 101 out of 165 runners.
I didn't quite get the time I wanted, but I finished in 32:19, which was an improvement of 9:24 over last year. I'm still slow ( I finished second to last in my age division) I am improving.

Last week was not quite the robust running week I had hoped for. The temps and humidity were quite high, and I had to scrub one of the runs to weather and another to my work schedule. I ran three times for 10.6 miles and lifted weights three times.

My Thursday run was a bear. The weather was hot and humid (91 F, 78% humidity) when I started. I ran the first 1.5 miles in solid time (15:14), and hit the two mile mark strong. I quickly realized, however, that the temp and humidity were a lot higher than I had realized. So, to avoid injury, I cut the route short by 1.3 miles and ducked through some tree lined neighborhoods rather than finish my 5.5 hill route which has little shade. It was a good thing, as I scored a lovely sunburn after being out under an hour.

Another 5K on Saturday. Woo Hoo!

No comments: