Saturday, February 10, 2007

Saturday, Feb 10


Ran my 8.5 mile circuit tonight. Time was 1:58:11. Not too bad, given the weather conditions.

The temp warmed up to over 20 degrees today, so I decided to run. Temp has crossed 20 only once in the past couple of weeks, and has often hovered in the single digits. Also snowed twice, so the trails/sidewaks were icy. The treadmill is nice, but just isn't the same.

Left the house around 1700 hrs and the temp was 24 degrees. Humidity a bit high (61%), but only a very light breeze. Wind picked up at 7 mile mark, and the temp with wind chill dropped to 16.

Started well. Completed the first leg (2.6 mi) in just over 31 min, which meets my goal of 5 MPH. Slowed a bit at the second leg, completing the 2.5 in just over 32 min. That's not bad, as I completed the first approx 5 miles in 63 minutes. I walked an extra 4 minutes in that second leg in the hopes of conserving energy for the final leg. I also walked for 2.5 minutes for a phone call with Jen.

I slowed considerably in the third leg (just under 2 mi), completing it in 30 min. I'm not sure I can improve my time in this leg when the weather is bad or I'm running at night. When running the circuit clockwise, it could be the fastest leg of the course (if I'm running in day light). The entire leg is very flat, and the trail is mostly wide and in great condition. The problem is the portion near the zoo, where the trail is asphalt and very uneven. I have to slow when running at night to avoid tripping. Further, when it snows, that leg becomes very icy. The zoo folks made a water habitat in the slough next to the trail, so they don't salt or sand that portion of the trail so they don't hurt the habitat. That makes it VERY icy, and I had to walk that entire portion tonight to keep from falling.

The final leg, which has a long up hill, was awful: 1.5 miles in just over 25 min. Both quads were cramping, and was getting twinges in right gastroc (the one I previously injured). Lower back was tweaking a bit, too. The last leg is on the sidewalks on 48th Street, and most people had not scraped their walks. The packed ice combined with the long uphill made footing treacherous in spots. Slipped several times, but did not fall. I think the slipping was the cause of my lower back twinges.

While the weather and sidewalk conditions contributed to my slow final leg, the fact is that every time I run the circuit clockwise (making the long uphill the last leg) I die on that uphill. I often alternate the direction of my run, but think that having the big hill last is better for training purposes. If I run the other direction, I still end with an uphill, but it is not nearly as steep and its shorter.

Anyway, as noted above, 1:58:11.

The state farm 10 miler coming up next month and have to complete it 2 hrs or less, but at this point am not concerned. I still have a month and a half to prep, and the race temp will be a lot warmer that 24 degrees.

Lessons learned:

Good:
  1. Bundled up nicely in layers, toes didn't get cold until the end. Considering the temp, I was quite pleased.
  2. Quite happy with first one mile time, first leg time, and the 5 mile time. Good breathing, good strides.
  3. I carried a cloth to wipe my eyes. The past three trips I wiped the sweat out of my eyes using my gloves, but that apparently irritated my eyes and they started burning halfway through the runs. No buring this time!
  4. Considering the recent weather, it was great to be able to run at all.
Bad:
  1. Went without hydration pack, which was a mistake. I have not had significant cramping whenever I wear my Camelback, as I have been well hydrated.
  2. I carried a fanny pack with one bottle of water, but didn't drink the entire way. Dumb
  3. Unsure whether Quad cramps were due to cold, poor hydration, or both.
  4. Have to work on that uphill because that is where I'm getting killed on my time.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Good job honey. I like the picture, it is really cool looking.

Jennifer said...

I think you should post this to everybody.