Sunday, February 18, 2007

Saturday, Feb 17

Cold run, but a good run.

Ran approx 11.4M. Pretty night. Clear sky, almost no breeze. The air was very clean and was enjoyable to breathe (sounds weird, I know). Started around 2117 hrs (9:17 pm) with a temp of 31F, ended 0012 hrs (12:12) and the temp had dropped to 20F. I wore my camelback, and had to drink every 5 or so minutes because the water would freeze in the mouthpiece and drinking tube! My glasses froze over near the 1.5 mile mark, so I could not use them until the last two miles of the run. Several people honked their car horns and a few called out, but I could not see who they were because my glasses were in my pocket.

The run along the Rock Island trail, and parts of the Highway 2 trail, was wonderful. The snow in some areas is very pristine (no foot prints). The surface snow melted a bit and then refroze when the temp dropped, creating a shiny, crystelline sheen that reflected beautifully in the lights. Although my glasses were in my pocket by this point, I didn't need them to see the beauty around me. When I was able to put my glasses back on, I could see the stars twinkling brightly in the night sky.

A real workout this time. I had driven the route and was aware of significant snow and ice problems, so I decided to run slowly and deliberately and not worry about time (or else I would speed up and then slip and fall on the ice). I did time it, and I finished in 2:55:42. I ran because I needed the miles and am behind schedule because of the weather, but in retrospect I probably should have been wiser and stayed in doors. The trails were snowy and icy in sections, but the off trail sidewalks were in very poor condition. At least 85% of the two mile stretch along 56th street, and significant portions of 48th, were caked with snow and ice, making passage slow and difficult. Many people had not shoveled their walks from the first snow, so several inches of snow had built up from the several snows we have had. The top layer had melted because of the warmer temp today, but re-froze when the sun went down. So, I would crunch through the top layer and then sink shin deep. I had to walk the vast majority of 56th and 48th, so I probably walked around 4.5 of the 11+ miles.

My lower back and left knee are pretty sore, so it will be good to have tomorrow off.

No comments: