Thursday, October 4, 2007

12 Miler

Wednesday, Oct 3

Went for a long one, but kinda by accident.

Last night's plan was to run the 8.5 as hard as I could, then walked a timed 1 mi so that I could get a realistic estimate of a 1 mi walking time while sore and tired. Unfortunately, I had clock and IPod problems, so I don't know most of my times.

I started with a 2.5 mile walk (forgot to start IPod), and then ran a 8.5 mi on my standard circuit (hill last). I don't have an overall time for that, either. But, I do have some prelim times.

The 8.5 mi started with a thud. After I started running, the IPod band was pinching my arm. The IPod was inside my sweater and I had to slow to a walk to fix it, but I had to continue to walk when I put the sweater back on because the cords somehow became tangled. Sweater came back off, etc. It was a comedy of errors. I call this an "administrative loss" because I lost a great deal of time due to "administrative" or "non-running" errors. Admin lossess to me are especially perplexing and irritating. Anyway, because of these problems, I reached the Rock Island/Hwy 2 trail merge in a dismal 31:17, which is awful. The last time I ran this route, I finished this segment in 28:39. So, I had a 2:38 admin loss.

I was quite discouraged by this time, so I decided to ramp up my speed on the next segment. I finished in 27:16, which is 1:17 faster than the last time I ran this route. And, it may be my fastest time on this segment. Not bad, since I started this segment after going over 5 miles and finished it around 7.8 miles. I was very pleased! Despite the speedy split, I was still behind schedule at the Zoo merge because of the time I lost during the first split. I reached the Zoo merge at 58:33, which was 1:21 behing the 57:12 when I last ran this distance.

The moon was not yet up when I reached the crappy portion of the trail on the north side of the Zoo, so I made a tactical decision to walk this part. I have tripped on that portion of the trail several times in broad day light. Now, the night was very dark, and I didn't want to risk injury on the very uneven surface. I have done this in other (but not all) night runs, and I simply accept the time loss as a logical tradeoff - slower time, but no injury. The tradeoff is worth it.

Now, the clock problem hit. I'm not sure what happened, but I did something wrong so I don't have good times for the rest of the run.

After a good sprint up the hill and to the finish line, I set the watch and began my 1 mile walk. By this time, I had just finished 11 miles, and my legs were sore from the sprint at the finish and the long sprints on the Rock Island leg of the route. My time was horrible! Exactly 16 minutes. Aargh!

Anyway, a good long distance effort with lots of sprints.

I started late and did not finish until around 1:10 am. Because of the lateness, I am scrubbing Thurday's 5.5 miler and will do that Friday, hopefully in the morning.

Woo Hoo!

No comments: