Sunday, October 7, 2007

David's Pumpkin Run

Ran the Pumpkin Run with David this morning. It's a 1 mile cross country event held at Pioneer's Park (gorgeous park where we had Heather's wedding reception), and is David's last Lincoln Track Club event of the year. He earned "grand slammer" status this year, so his name will be on the T-Shirt they give out next year. Congrats to David!

The race is different than the others in that it is truely a cross country event. Lovely course that has two down hills that were so steep they were difficult to run down. The uphills are equally steep, and careful footing is a must. In other words, it was quite exciting!

David wanted me to run, and the course looked like fun so I chased him around the course. The race had a bazillion kids organized into age groups. And, because of the congestion and terrain, kids were falling all over the place. Of course, kids don't understand spacing, they follow each other too closely, and they cut in front of each other, so when one falls an unintentional dog pile often results, especially near the start.

Anyway, David was on the starting rope and I was directly behind him, and when the gun sounded he was off like a shot. I tried to keep up, but kids were falling right away and helping kids get back up before they were trampled seemed more important that matching David stride for stride. Of course, kids that age are bouncy and hop right back up and run some more! If I fell like that, I would be down for a week.

I eventually caught up because David runs like an accordian. He sprints like crazy, then walks until he catches his breath, and then starts sprinting like crazy again. He has only two race speeds; full bore or walk! There is no in between. There is also no way I can catch him on a sprint, so I just maintain a solid pace and then catch him when he starts walking. I caught up, we walked together for a few seconds, and he sprinted off again. We did that several times. I caught him again during his last walk before the finish, and we walked together for about 20 or 30 seconds until he was close enough for his big sprint to the finish line. This run has so many kids, and hence the finish line so congested, that all parents cut off to the right just before the finish line so that the kids can have their pictures taken as they cross the line. Also, kids cross the finish line and then stop right there, in the middle of everything! Anyway, David ran the race in 11:07 (as best as I could tell), a good time considering the nature of the course. It was difficult to pinpoint the exact time he crossed (too many kids congesting the finish), but I think 11:07 is accurate enough.

After the run, I took David (and Heather) to breakfast, and then Heather took David shopping for a halloween costume. Personally, Jennifer and I cannot stand halloween but Heather loves it, so for the last few years she has taken David to get a costume. And, after our church "trunk or treat" event, I'm sure Heather will take him trick or treating again this year.

Anyway, a fun Saturday run.

Considered running this afternoon, but ended up doing several hours worth of yard work! By the time I was finished, I was too sore, so I called it a day.

No comments: