Thursday, October 11, 2007

Block Update

It is with great sadness that I report the passing of my Nike+ shoes. They were nifty and served me well, and they supported my lardy butt 26.2 mi through the rain and wind on my last marathon. But the right heal became so worn (supporting said same lardy butt) that they are no longer usable for running purposes. Alas. I really like my Diadora's, but they are not motion control, etc, and they are not quite cushiony enough to carry me 26.2 mi. So, I am gently supplicating my lovely bride to help me preserve my health and carve out a more matrimonially desirous physique by acquiring a new pair of shoes. Hope springs eternal.

Ok, back to business.

The weather is getting colder, so I'm running in a sweater again. I ran a 5.5 hill route on October 9, finishing in 61:29. Only 7 seconds off my best time! The temp was 49F when I started, and I was a bit crampy for awhile. I was especially pleased with my time on the first major portion (start through the top of the hill), recording a 33:45. This is 16 seconds slower than my October 5th run, and I still caught that darned light again. However, I ran the last 2.5 mi much faster this time, so I completed the run 1:49 faster overall, and 2:05 faster than my last run. Notably, I completed the .95 mile "up and down" portion in 11:10 (including a 23 second delay at that darned light), and the last 1.55 mi in 16:32.

I ran my 3.3 mi route Wednesday morning. Results were ok, but not great. I started around 7:00 with a temp of 46F. And, because of a strategic miscalculation (forgot to put my running clothes into the washer), I ran in my bulky sweats. Regardless, I finished in 33:22. Ran the first segment in 8:17 (ok) where I join the 5.5 mi route. Completed the "up and down" portion in 9:09 (as opposed to 11:10 during Monday's 5.5). I slowed a bit on the last 1.55 mi, finishing in 15:55 (as opposed to 16:32 during Monday's 5.5 miler). Walked my 1 mile afterward, finishing in 16:41. OUCH!

It is apparent that I'm not going to reach my goal of under 30 min for the 3.3 route before the next marathon (next week). I might get under 60 min for the 5.5 route, which would make me quite happy.

Had a great lift on Monday, my first lift in three weeks (by design). Will lift twice more before the next big run.

No comments: