Friday, October 5, 2007

Two Weeks Away!

The next marathon is only two weeks away! So, I hit the hill route again on Friday and then walked my mile.

I was still sore from the 12 miler, and I generally like to take at least 48 hours off from the end of a long run until I start the next. However, since I started the 12 miler on Wednesday nite and finished on Thursday after midnight, a 48 hour down time would push my next run to Saturday morning, which is David's Pumpkin Run (1 mi cross country) at Pioneers Park.


With this in mind, I ran Friday morning, starting around 9:00 am. My legs felt a bit like lead and were sore, and I took my phone so that I could answer calls as necessary. I started fast, but had to take a long call which slowed me considerably. I finished the call near the 1 mile mark and my time went from great to awful, but I felt the manly urge to accelerate! I ran hard and made up a lot of time and reached the 1.5 mile mark in 15:58. I took a moderate pace on the next leg, then wanted to give myself a big push up the hill. So, I started hustling again, and pushed through a big head wind to reach my main landmark (the corner of Pioneers and 56th) at 33:29, which is my best time for this segment. In fact, when I ran my personal best on this route, I reached this point at 34:14, so I was :45 ahead of schedule.


I was excited when I reached the intersection because I knew that, desepite my tired legs and the long phone call, I was on a PB time. My excitement waned just a bit, however, when the cursed traffic light turned red in front of me! I timed the light, and it took 32 seconds before turning green again. I wanted to just sprint across the road, but the traffic was too heavy.


I had a hard time getting my legs going after that break, and lost focus as I went down the hill. I was thinking about a legal brief I am writing and my brain went numb, and I caught myself running at a snails pace. I tried to resume my normal pace but my legs were quite tired. So, I set a nice pace and just cruised the rest of the way home. My time was 1:03:18. (or 63:18).


I walked my 1 miler just after finishing, but my time was icky yet again: 16:53. Ouch.


Will run the Pumkpin Run (1 mi cross country) with David tomorrow, and am not sure whether I will run tomorrow night or just give my legs a break. Perhaps I'll just walk a long distance. We shall see.


Cornell played a fine football game. He caught a pass for 11 yds and a first down, dropped a pass but earned a pass interference call, missed a catch in the end zone on what was an obvious pass interference call, and saved an interception by forcing the interceptor out of bounds before his feet came down. The ball was a bit overthrown and Cornell was double covered. Unfortunately, his team lost yet again. Oh well.

No comments: