Tuesday, July 17, 2007

7/16/07, knee sore but improving

Well, my knee was banged up a bit worse than I thought when I splatted on the cement last Tuesday, so I didn’t resume running until Monday. The damage wasn’t too bad, just some bruising and moderate swelling and soreness, but I’m 45, not 25. Walking was a bit of a chore, so running seemed foolish.

Went 8.5 mi tonight, but because of my knee I planned to run about 5 miles and walk about 3.5 miles, and things went pretty well according to plan. The knee is a bit sore but held up well. I’ll run gently for the next week, then mod my overall schedule so that I don’t try to run 40 miles in a week in which I’m trying to recover.

I had no time goal at all for this run, and ran the stop watch only because I always run the stopwatch. My total time was 1:54:07, but in my chart I’m recording it as a DNR (did not record) because I avoided trying to make a specific time.

I did make good use of the down time, as I pounded the weights heavily. I lifted Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Monday. Also pounded my flabby abs (actually, I pounded the flab around my midsection so that, someday, the beautiful, well defined and highly muscular abs which lie hidden therein might someday emerge from their embarrassment for all, or at least my wife, to see.) I also did a few light sets of free weight squats. Knee was sore, but held up ok, which is a great sign! No lifting Thursday as I donated blood, and I took Sunday off as is my wont.

1 comment:

Gawdess said...

Sorry your knee got hurt and it does sound like you made great use of your down time.

And your vacation looked like a blast!
I loved that your family claimed the state of Oklahoma, the L flag was so cute.

And I would like my extremely well camouflaged abs to decide to come out too at some point, but I think yours will because you do things like the weights and I most seriously don't.

Good for you for taking it easy on your knee and I will likely say it again but I think you make great time on your runs.