Thursday, July 19, 2007

Recovery week continues, ran hill route 1 (5.5 mi)

Wednesday, July 18.

This week's running theme is still "go slow and let my right knee recover from last week's trip and splat on the cement."

Ran hill route 1, which is 5.5 miles. Hot day (over 100F), and because of the temp I didn't start my run until a bit after 2300 hrs (after 11:00 pm). Temp as I left the front door was 87F, with a humidity of 50%.

Took it very easy, especially on the long uphill. I did one 30 second sprint split, but didn't even really sprint. I'm still favoring the knee just a bit, but it seems to be improving nicely. Family prayer has been a bit rough because we kneel, and tonight I stuck a comforter under my knee. As long as my knee hurts to kneel, I'll know that it isn't quite up to snuff.

My time tonight was 1:07:23. The last time I ran the route, which was before I banged my knee, was 1:02:44. This route is important because the upcoming Kansas City Marathon (Oct 20) has plenty of hills, and my Hill Route 1 is the "hilliest" route available to me in Lincoln. Further, this route mimics, as closely as I can get, the first 5.5 miles of the KC Marathon. So, my time on this route will be my best indicator, and planning tool, for the first 5.5 of that marathon.

I'm hoping that my knee is back to normal by Monday. We have a 5k race coming up on August 11, and my goal is to finish in under 29 minutes. To do that, I'll have to pound out in practice several of my short routes (3.3 mi), but I'm a bit wary of hard sprints until my knee improves just a bit. we shall see what we shall see.

1 comment:

Gawdess said...

Be Wary!
Do not push that injury.
I know that is what you are already saying but I will say it too - I had shin splints that I didn't let heal and ended up having to back right off of running for almost three months!

It was awful.

There are other 5ks in the world.

Think it is great that you are able to run at night.
Me?
I'm way too sleepy at 9pm to even think about it.
Now mornings are a whole other story.

The practice sounds good!
5k in 29minutes?!

Wow!