Sunday, July 22, 2007

Rough Week

A bit of a rough week. The knee is doing better, but 4 of my family, including me, came down with bronchitis. I was the last to fall, but after watching my wife and two of my kiddos get whacked, I went to the quack within a few hours of starting to feel poorly. I still feel tired, but did not get nearly as sick as my other fam members.

My training schedule has taken major hits in July; vacation, knee, and now bronchitis. I have had only 8 exercise days, 7 lifting days, and a measly 3 running days for a paltry 19.6 miles. I'll do about 30 miles this week and 10 in the last two days of the month, which will give me a wimpy 60 miles for the month. Fortunately, I started with an excellent base (ran a marathon in May and have run 466 miles so far this year), and I will have all of August and September, and half of October, to become fully ready.

A medium weight workout on Wednesday, starting getting sick Wednesday, and was back in the weightroom on Saturday. I brutalized myself, and it felt great. My bench press is still a bit sucky (I worked up to a short set at 225 and didn't want to push it further), but everything else seems to be improving. I lost a lot of my bench strength preparing for the last marathon, and I want to build up as much as possible, and burn as much fat as possible, before the next race.

In some ways, I'm working against myself. Weight lifting builds muscle, which increases the metabolism and helps burn fat. But, running long distances often results in the body breaking down muscle for energy (when is the last time you saw a muscular long distance runner?). Hence, my sizeable drop in max weight in the bench as I prepped for the last marathon. I tried "maintenance lifting" as I prepped the last time, but it didn't work out at all. May be my body, perhaps I didn't do it right. Regardless, it sounded great in theory, but didn't work out so well in practice.

This time, I lift regularly from lower abs and lower back up, do light leg lifting (the legs are still very strong), and have run like crazy (except July). My hope is that my body will think that I need the additional muscule and burn fat instead. Unfortunately, my fat supply far exceeds my muscle supply, and I'm getting older. Anyway, I have no intention to be a body builder, but the excess 600 pounds of fat really need to go (ok, perhaps a bit of an exaggeration, I would be quite happy if I lost another 30 lbs).

Busy week (I have a trial on Monday and a sentencing on Tuesday, for starters), but I should get plenty of miles and lifting for the week.

1 comment:

Gawdess said...

Okay a couple of things,
I was looking at Jennifer's blog and thinking uh oh, Kurt's going to probably get that and it can't be fun for any of them - I am going to start commenting on J's blog too sometimes soon!
Something else is look at this as necessary rest time!
Injury and illness can be indicators that you are pushing just a little too hard - this is the way the body takes a break.

I bet you will find that you will come back even stronger than before.

Read Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes (sp?) - the guy is a bit nuts but...interesting book and he talks about being muscular.

You might like it.
Warning though, he is a bit bonkers!