Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Speed (ha ha) run

Started my run tonite with the intention of running an 8.5 mi. Got started very late (as usual) and I was making good time. It was a warm night (57F at start) but the wind was ugly and clouds were billowing. As I thought about the upcoming 10 K on Saturday, I thought "what the heck" and around the 2 mile mark I turned my 8.5 into a 5.4 "speed run" In other words, I ran several hard "sprint splits."

Well, I'm slow. And I'm behind where I was this time last year, and much heavier to boot. Overall, however, my time wasn't bad: 1:00:59. I started on my 8.5 route clockwise, so the first .9 miles is down hill. The path then levels off, and then is followed by a 1/3 mile or so uphill leading to the Rock Island Trail. I completed the first downhill segment in 9:41. At this point I was not hustling, but then I never hustle the first mile or so because I'm trying to warm up without getting injured. I then ran the flat segment and the short uphill in 20:19, for a first half time of 30:01. Not a great time, as this time last year I was running it in 2 or so minutes faster, but what the heck.

I then turned around and ran back, completing that same segment in 19:54, which was 25 seconds faster. I then completed the .9 segment back up the hill in 11:03. The head wind was pretty ugly and it took me an additional 1:22 to complete the segment as an uphill, but what the heck.

Overall, I'm slower than last year and won't catch up until I lose the weight, which won't be completed until the 2nd Marathon in the fall. But, I'm on a good glide path, and considering all the distractions from January - April, I can't complain too much. Of course, I made no attempt at weight management in the three months following the KC Marathon, which was a big mistake. But, we'll pull the weight off as smart as I can, keep our expectations low for this Marathon, and make the big effort for a super time in the fall.

No comments: