Saturday, April 12, 2008

What a difference a couple of weeks make!

Ran a 15 mi today (actually 15.1). Started strong and ended strong. Had to walk the last 4 mi or so because I became nauseous, but that was a diet problem, not a running problem. I haven't had much of an appetite over the past week or so, primarily due to the family circumstances mentioned previously. For today's run, I started a little after 5 pm, but my only intake for the entire day, besides a couple of bottles of water, was 2 scoops of protein powder and an ounce of mixed nuts for lunch, and a handful of Pringles (cheddar cheese) moments before I ran. Big mistake, forcing me to take an extended bathroom break and mostly walk the last 4 miles to avoid losing the Pringles. That having been said, I still ran strong and walked strong, so I'm very happy with the results.

Now the particulars. Ran my 15 mile route (check the right column on the blog), counter clockwise. The weather started cool and windy (41F, gusts up to 15 mph) and ended up cooler and windier, with light snow blowing around (37F, gusts up to 25, humidity 61%). I ran "heavy," which means I wore my CamelBak (about 20 lbs this time) and a long sleeved shirt along with my usual cold weather gear.

By going counter clockwise, I started with the hilliest part of the course first. I finished the first 10 mi in 2:02:10, which included traffic light stops for a total of 2:39 (I don't deduct time for stops from my overall time). Two weeks ago I ran 10 mi in 2:07:59 with similar weather condictions, but on a very flat course with no stops. Today, I ran the same distance 5:49 faster, but on a very hilly route, carrying a 20 lb pack on my back, and losing 2:39 to stop lights. In other words, wonderful improvement.

My stomach began flaking out around mi 11 so I jog-walked the last 4 mi to keep from throwing up, and I still finished in 3:24:19. At the end of February, 2007 (the last time I ran this route), I finished in 3:39:05. Today, I ran an extra loop around the block ( about .45 miles). The bottom line: almost 15 minutes faster on a route that was .45 mi longer.

Also, I ran a 14 mi on the ultra flat MOPAC trail back on March 22, finishing in 3:38:53. So today, I ran 1.1 mi longer in 14:44 fewer minutes, without stops and on a hilly course. Woo Hoo!

Now the bad news. I jumped on the scale today, and was stunned by what I saw. Way, way, way too heavy. My best guess is that I should lose 13 lbs by race day. I have been attacking the diet all week, but until race day I'll do it in more earnest.

No comments: