Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Birthday Run An "Oops"

Went to bed very early on the 27th so I could enjoy a lovely, early morning 8.5 mi birthday run. Temp was cold (33F) so I bundled up and lauched!

Unfortunately, I forgot to prep the deep blister on the pad of my left foot.

I started strong, and even after being caught by three traffic lights I still reached the 1.5 mi mark in 16:58. The next mile was strong too. Then, fully warmed, I decided to start my sprint intervals. I cranked up my pace into lovely sprint, and near the end started to feel the burning sensation in my foot - the burn that results from forgetting to prep the blister. I stopped sprinting at that point and walked the rest of the way to the zoo merge. I had to stop a couple of times along the way to work on my foot, tighten my shoe laces, and the like, but I still finished the 3.4 mile segment in 43:09. A crummy time if I was running, but not bad for when I walk a good part of it.

Once I reached the merge, I decided to test my walking and avoid further injury. So, I walked the remaining 5.1 mi.

The walking was actually interesting training. I quickly realized that I could not take a long stride because my toes would bend, which made the blister hurt. But, if I took short, quick steps, the blister didn't hurt so much. So, I took short, quick steps the entire last 5.1 miles. My time was sucky, but without jogging an inch I still completed the 5.1 mile distance in 87 minutes, which is approximately a 17:25 mile or just under 3.5 mph. So, even if my lungs pop out in the latter stages of the marathon, I can still add a little jog and average a 15 minute mile, or 4 mph pace.

I got the blister during my run in Reno, and it is much deeper than I thought. My protection measures have worked, though, so we shall see what we shall see....

No comments: