Monday, April 30, 2007

Day - 6: Worked on Transitions

Ran an 8.5 mi with Robert, our 17 year old foster kid. We ran the first 3 miles at an excellent pace, then for the next 5.5 worked on transitions into and out of a walking interval. In my previous long runs, I would clunkily start walking from a run, and would simply start running when the interval ended. I quickly learned that the "clunk" into the walking interval made my knees hurt, and my "just start running" at the end of the walking interval made my legs stiff and sore and took a lot of energy. And, the longer I walked, the harder it was to resume running. So, tonight I practiced transitioning from a run into a walk, and a slow and even acceleration from a walk into a run. I practiced numerous transitions, and a 15 second transition seems to be perfect.

My legs are more sore now than if I had just run the entire distance, which concerns me just a bit. This soreness is cause running in intervals, and has been a consistent problem since January. Back then, I quickly learned that once I passed the 6 mile point, resuming a run after a walking interval was difficult. And, the longer I walked, the more difficult it became. For example, in March's 24.5 miler, I decided to walk for a mile somewhere around the 17 mile point. When I resumed running, my legs began to ache and I was unable to establish a good stride or pace for the remainder of the distance. I had a similar problem for my 21.5 miler last month. I used intervals, without transitions, on all my big runs, and my legs ached for days after. Fortunately, I am in much better shape now, and I think the transitions will help greatly. I suspect that these transitions will play a significant role in keeping my legs in the game and keeping me on track to reach my time goal of 6 hrs. The bottom line is that I must not walk more than 3.5 minutes at a time (plus the 15 second slowdown transition and the 15 second speed up transition).

Tonight's focus was on transitioning into and out of a walking interval, and we practiced many such transitions. We did not focus on overall time, but rather creating a solid transition routine Regardless, I did have the stopwatch on, and the overall time was still only 1:46:28, which was a great time for what we were doing. Without the transitions, we would probably have beat my 1:35:00 goal. A 5 mile run on Wednesday, weights on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday morning, with a couple of walks in between pretty much finishes our running schedule before the Marathon.

No comments: