Sunday, April 29, 2007

Marathon Strategy Revised

I have finalized my race strategy, and will spend my last 4 running days working out any last minute details.

My original strategy, which I made many moons ago, still seems like the best overall plan: complete the first 15 miles in 3 hours (5 mph pace), then jog-walk the remainder at around a 3.8 mph pace. I didn't really have any other details back then, but now have refined the strategy quite substantially. Here goes.
Congestion at the Starting Line and Chip Timing. The Lincoln Marathon will have a record 5000 runners, so the start and the first few miles will be quite congested. Because I'm slow, I'll start somewhere nearer to the back of the pack, and 2 minutes or more might elapse from the time the gun sounds before I actually cross the starting line. Last year's event had 4100 runners, and because of congestion on certain parts of the route the race folks narrowed the starting line to string people out a bit better. But, with the additional 900 entrants this year, the first part of the race might be packed worse than last year. Fortunately, this is a chip-timed event with a chip start, so my personal time starts and stops when the chip on my shoe crosses the timing mat at the start/finish line. Chips from the Novartis 10K are on our shoes in the adjacent picture. My first race this year, the State Farm 10 mi (the race where I was assigned the infamous "666" race number), was a chip start, which is good because I started way back in the pack and 30+ seconds had elapsed after the starting gun before I moved up enough to cross the starting line. Because this was a chip start, this 30+ seconds did not count against my time. The 10 K was a gun start, so the 30 seconds or so which elapsed before I crossed the starting line did count against my time.
Mile 1. The race starts on the campus of the University of Nebraska (Go Huskers), in front of the Coliseum (where the National Champion Women's Vollyball teams plays) and the football stadium. After the narrowed start, the route proceeds down a narrow road for about .3 mile, then makes a right hand turn onto another street. With 5000 people running, this part of the route will look line the LA freeway system at rush hour, so I won't be able to set my pace and my first mile time will be slow. Over the past month, I have consistently ran a 10 minute or better first mile on my 5+ mile runs. NOT going to happen this time. My best guess is 13 min.
Miles 2-5. My standard (now) 5 mile time is 54-55 minutes, but I doubt I'll run this well because of race congestion. Once I settle into my pace, the first hurdle comes at the 2 mile point, where we make a left hand turn though an intersection which is partially closed due to major construction. In other words, more congestion. The next hurdle comes at the 3 mile point when we go through our first aid station. Many people walk through the station so they can drink water or gatorade, so more congestion. Aside from the first mile at 13 min, my best guess is that I'll average 12 minute miles for the next four miles.
Miles 6-10. These miles will be like running with an old friend, because mile 5-8 follow a route I have run many, many times. We transition from the street to a bike path just after mile 6, which will pose a serious congestion issue. There is a bit of an uphill around the 8 mile mark, and we leave the bike path at around the 8.5 mile mark for what I think is the quirkiest part of the route. We run up hill on a narrow residential street, then cross through a park with a very narrow sidewalk. Hopefully, we will be spread out enough by that point that it won't be too much of a problem. Depending on congestion, I should be able to average just under a 12 min mile until the 8 mile mark, and am planning a 13 min mile for miles 9 and 10 because of the uphill, the narrow street, and going through the park.
Miles 10-13. These miles are relatively flat and the road is very wide with no turns. At about the 12 2/3 mile mark, the folks running the half marathon split off to the finish line, which should reduce the field by about 50%. Also, marathoners can exercise the "Marathoner's Option" and decide to run only the half marathon, so marathoners who become sore, injured, dehydrated, get nasty blisters, etc will be leaving. I'm figuring a 12:30 min mile for miles 11 and 12, with a 13:30 mile to mile 13.
Miles 13 -15. These miles go north of the University of Nebraska and then cut south through the campus. I hope to complete the first 15 miles in 3 hours. At this point, I'm planning for 3:10:30 because of early race congestion.
Miles 15-finish. Miles 15-25 will again be like running with an old friend. This is basically an "out and back" where we run from the University of Nebraska Campus to Holmes Lake and back, and I have run this portion numerous times. We start an uphill at around mile 19, and the steepest part of the route will occur from mile 19 to just after mile 21. The remaining 5.2 will be downhill and then a straight shot to the finish. I will begin my walking intervals at mile 15, where I slow to a 15 minute mile. I'll do an 8/2 interval (8 minutes jogging, 2 minutes walking) to mile 19, and regardless of the time will walk up the steepest part of that hill. The hill will taper and I will jog for approximately 8-10 minutes, when I will again walk up the steepest part of the hill at mile 21. I know both hills, so I should be able to jog much of the way. My best guess is that I will average a 16 minute mile from mile 17 to mile 21 (which is where I will be listening to music provided by my friends), then should average a 15 min mile the rest of the way in. I scheduled two 16 minute miles at 23 and 24, just in case. The remaining 2.2 are relatively flat, and shouldn't pose any problems.
According to my math, I should finish between 6:03:30 and 6:05:30. I'll definitely be one of the last finishers, but that's ok. My goal this time around is just to finish. According to the Marathon web site, some folks still received official times at around the 7 hour mark. However, police take down their traffic barriers at the 6 hour mark. If I go slower than expected, I'll be ok because the bike trail runs adjacent to the route all the way from mile 15 to mile 25. The last 1.2 would be a pain because I would have to run on sidewalks and would make poor time because of all of the traffic lights. An incentive to finish on time.
Anyway, thats what the race will look like. Jennifer and the kids will be meeting me at certain parts of the route, and Jennifer will have a copy of my plan just in case we need to re-compute a few things. In terms of pace, I won't be able to "speed up" after around mile 15, so my pace will be controlled through adjusting my intervals. If I'm feeling strong, I might do a 9/1. If I start to hurt, I can drop back to a 7/3. I learned on my long runs that I must not walk more than 4 minutes at any given time, or I have difficult running again. So, as a precaution, I will not walk more than 3:30 minutes at a time.
I am excited, and a bit anxious, that the last week is here. I have scheduled one last 8.5, but taper significantly after that. I have a couple of walks planned, and for one of these I'll walk the leg of the route through the University of Nebraska campus, and on the other will walk the quirky part of the route so I don't get lost. I'll also get a better feel for the uphill on that section once I walk it. Other than this, I'll spend the week working on the huge blister that formed in my right arch, the blister on my right -little toe, on icing my knees and lower back, and carefully watching my intake. I have asked my friends to each email me a song for my I-Pod, and hopefully each will send me one and I can spend an hour or two getting the music on the I-Pod just right!
I also have a few loose ends to tie up. My new contacts have arrived and I need to pick them up because I'll be running in contacts. I will get a new battery for my stop watch, need to get my "Army Dad" ball cap fixed, (the adjustable headband came off) and buy more energy gel things to carry when I run. Of course, I will have a hyper-busy week at work and I give my students a mid-term on Tuesday, but life does not slow down just because I want to run a marathon.

No comments: