Saturday, April 28, 2007

A fine birthday run!

Today is my birthday! I am now 25, er, um, like 35 ish, or, like, perhaps somewhere closer, or possibly farther away than, like 35, plus some years. Ok, today is the 45th celebration of the day of my birth.

I had a very fine birthday run this morning, completing my 3.3 mi route in 31:28. This is my new personal best (since the early 90's), which shaved 2:03 off the personal best I set on April 19 (33:31). I ran as hard as I could but couldn't quite reach my goal of running this route in 30 minutes before the marathon. However, I was excited to shave over 2 minutes off my previous best time, and I'm sure that, once I'm a bit lighter, I'll reach that goal.

My original plan was for a nice 8.5 mile run to celebrate my birthday. Unfortunately, this has been a brutal week, with Friday being day 10 of a parental rights termination trial. I took a nap when I returned home after court, and that nap turned into a very long night's rest. I woke up quite late and quickly realized that I had no time for an 8.5 miler. So, even though a previous blog entry stated that my 3.3 mi runs were finished until after the marathon, I decided to do one more.

I thought of running a 5 miler tonight, as I am currently 15 miles behind my mileage goal for April and had been scheduled to run the 8.5 mi route. However, a group of guys are coming over to play "Diplomacy." It's a grand strategy game based on WWI, and the game can go for quite some time. So, I may or may not run tonight. Jennifer temporarily lifted my soda ban for my birthday ("Soda" on the coasts, "Pop" in the midwest), so we'll have pizza, root beer, and ice cream as we play. Woo hoo! In other words, no 5 miler tonight.

No comments: