Sunday, April 1, 2007

First day of the final month!

April is the last full month before the marathon. That gives me 4 full training weeks and 1 recuperation week before the race. I've looked backward after completing February and March, and now its time to look forward to April and the marathon on May 6.

My goal for this Marathon is simply to finish within 6 hours. I have understood (read it somewhere) that race organizers want folks to finish within 6 hours. The official races results, however, shows 4 finishers after the 7 hour mark, the latest being 7:04:48. Regardless, I'm still planning for 6 hours.

I have developed several scenarios for finishing within 6 hours. Fortunately, I have not had to change my scenarios. The primary is to complete the first 15 miles in 3 hours (12 min/mi or 5 mph pace), and then finish the last 11.2 in the remaining 3 hours (16 min/mi or 3.7 mph pace). I think this strategy is still do-able. I just finished a 10 miler in a minute under 2 hrs (11:54 min/mi or just over a 5 mph pace), and have one month to get my 15 mile time down to 3 hours. It will be tough, because 1 month is not a lot of time. But, given my progress in the 10 miler and my 24.5 miler of two weeks ago, I think I can do it. My fall back strategy is to complete the first ten miles in 2 hours, then jog-walk the remaining 16.2 miles in the remaining 4 hours. My concern with this strategy is that each mile after 10 becomes progressively slower. I can maintain, barely, a 16 min/mi pace for the remaining 11.2. Under the backup strategy, I would have to average just under a 15 min/mi for the last 16.2 miles. In my recent 24.5 miler, I finished the last three miles with a 17:07 min/mile. That won't cut it.

For the next month, I'll focus on 10 and 15 mile distances, with one more long MOPAC trail run (probably on Apr 14). I'll intersperse the longer runs with shorter runs (5 -6 mi), and these will be "hard runs" where I focus on my time. In my off days, I'll walk parts of the marathon route so I can get a better idea of how the route will look. The best surprise is no surprise! I have a 10K coming up in three weeks (Apr 21), but I won't specifically train for that distance.

No comments: