Sunday, June 10, 2007

Havelock 10K (6.21 mi)



Ran the Havelock 10K this morning. Mixed results. I ran my fastest 10k since I was 28/29, but as you can see from the clock I didn't come close to the 1:05:00 I wanted. (Of course, I'm the man in the white T-shirt and ball cap).

Before I get into the details, I must make an admission. I'm a guy, and I'm vain. I didn't know that I was vain (I have always known that I'm a guy, of course). About a quarter mile from the finish line, my knees were throbbing and the gentleman in the picture passed me (orange tank top and yellow shorts) at a solid rate. As he passed, he looked at me and said "you're not going to let a 72 year old man beat you, are you." I responded "I'm not vain that way, so go right ahead."

I was mistaken.

I always sprint the last 40 yards or so anyway, but the vanity I didn't know I possessed reared its ugly head and kicked into high gear! He had pulled quite a distance ahead, but I began to accelerate approx 100 yards from the finish, then went into a dead sprint at around 50 yards and shot past him. And, I finished less than a foot behind the lady in the picture. HA! I showed that 72 year old gentleman just how tough I am! WOOF WOOF WOOF. Anyway, we talked after the race. Nice gentleman. He has run numerous marathons and the like, and he is in extraordinary shape for being 72. I hope my 72nd birthday finds me in as good as shape he is in at that age.

Back to the matters at hand.

I finished the race in 1:08:11 (gun time). This was a chip timed event, but the Lincoln Track Club seems to be having a computer problem, so they posted only our gun times. My chip time would be about 35 seconds or so faster than my gun time.

I started at the very end of the pack (as is my wont), but had to stop after 100 yards to fix a problem with my I-Pod. I wear my contacts when I run, which means that I see great at distances but can't read anything closer than 2 feet. I especially cannot read when I'm running, so I had to stop if I wanted to use my I-Pod. It took about 40 second or so to get the thing on the right setting (coordinated with the chip in my shoe), so when I started out again I was dead last and way behind the pack. I worked my way up at a methodical pace, and finally started passing people.

Even though this was my best 10k in 17 or 18 years, I was still disappointed with my time. I wanted to finish in 1:05:00 or less, but it became quite clear to me around mile 3 that I'm not fully healed from the Marathon. The route has a 1m+ uphill beginning around the 1.5 mile mark, and as I plugged up the hill my knees felt a bit unstable. They later started to ache, and I tried to run as carefully as I could. I've iced them and they are still a bit sore, but they will be ok.

My only other 10k time this year was 1:08:42 (gun time only) in the Novartis 10k, and I beat that time by 31 seconds. In the Lincoln Marathon I ran the first 10k in 1:08:39 (chip timed), but I was conserving energy. The State Farm 10 mi run did not provide a 10k time, so I have no idea what that time would be.

Here's the stats: I finished 598th out of 632 runners. I beat 8 guys this time, and 4 were actually younger than me! I finished the first mile in 10:26. I started my time at the sound of the gun (not when I crossed the starting line), and the time includes my 40 seconds or so to fix my I-Pod problem. Under the circumstances, I'm quite happy with that time. The second mile was also in 10:26. Mile 3 was a bit harder due to the hill, so I finished in 12:12. Mile 4 had a bit of a down hill, and I finished in 10:53, and I slowed a bit in mile 5, at 11:19. I didn't see the 6 mile sign, but I ran the final 1.21 mi in 12:53.

Now its time to brag about my youngest. David, age 7, ran the 3k and finished in 20:02. He finished 350th place out of 586 runners. The group was runners of all ages, and the vast majority were adults (more than 80%). Of the 349 people who finished before him, only eight were his age or younger (six were age 7, and two were age 6). Nice work!

I'll be doing shorter distances over the next couple of weeks to allow my knees to fully heal. I only have 1 race left before the marathon in KC, and that is the 5 k "Thunder Run" in August.

1 comment:

Gawdess said...

Runners ( and I include myself in this description) are nuts!

Your 10k time was GREAT!
Congratulations!

I love that you pushed to beat the 72year old man, he sounds like a great inspiration.

Good for David too, what a great time for him.

My four are starting to gear up for our Terry Fox run in September. That is one of the things that I will be doing with them this summer is the training for that. Because it is a 2.5k loop they can choose to stop at 2.5k or do as many more as they want.

Hope your knees heal up really well.

Congratulations again.