Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Hot and humid, first "hill" route

Ran my first "hill training route" today, with a time 1:04:54. The total distance is about 5.5 miles (I can make it almost 6 by running around the block once). The route has one long uphill of about 1.2 miles, a shorter but steeper uphill a half of a mile later, and a less steep but .9 mile long uphill at the end. (this last segment does have about a .1 mile dip and a .1 mile straight, and concludes on a .15 uphill.)

I decided to make this run mid-day as I am trying to adjust to the heat. The temp was in the mid-high 80's with high humidity. I finished the first 1.5 miles in 15 minutes and change, which is an excellect time for me. The total distance from the house to the corner of pioneers via 48th, the BW parkway, and 56th is about 3 miles, and I finished it in 33:34. The last portion is about 2.5 mi, which I finished in 31:20.

At this point, the times are poor, but I'm not concerned because I'm adjusting to the heat and humidity. When I finished the run I was totally denched in sweat, which I don't get while running in colder temps. It'll take a few runs to get acclimated.

Later, I took David on a walk of just under 3 miles. We walked over to the store to get some Gatorade and a few other things.

Pounded the weights today (shoulders) and yesterday (arms).

Jen is a leader at our church's week long girls camp, so she not here to help. My mom is here, which is geat.

1 comment:

Gawdess said...

Sounds good!
Both the run itself and that your mom is there! Yay for Mom!

I am going to try running in the warmer parts of the day too, I need to get more comfortable with it.

My friend the ultra runner told be about a fabulous hydration pack that she found and loves - that may be in my future too!