Thursday, June 21, 2007

I bought a new running shirt! (but I'm still slow...)

Jen and I went to the sporting goods store today (Wednesday) and bought a nifty new running shirt! It's made by Nike and is white, sleaveless (the first sleaveless shirt I've ever owned), made of the light weight wicking material, and has stylish reflecting strips on it. So far, all my running has been in plain old t-shirts. I keep soaking the t-shirts all the way through within the first few miles, so I figured it was time to buy a running shirt. I'll post a picture after I've lost 30 more pounds.

Ran a 3.3 on Tuesday and an 8.5 tonight. The 3.3 was my second fastest recorded time, and I felt great. My time was 31:52, which was 24 seconds slower than my fastest time but 26 seconds faster than my previous #2 time. I've set a goal to reduce the time to 26:30 by October 20 (the KC Marathon).

I didn't fare so well on the 8.5 tonite. I was scheduled to run a 5.5 tonight, but I was jazzed from yesterday's 3.3 time so I wanted to see how fast I could do the 8.5. I started out WAY too fast and crumped in the middle. I ran the route counter-clockwise, so the zoo is at the 3.5 mile point instead of the 5 mile point. I reached my first segment (1.5 miles) in 15:56, which was about 49 seconds too fast. I arrived at the zoo in 38:25 which, if I could have maintained that pace, would put me 28 seconds better than my best time. It was not to be. The next segment then took 31 minute and change, and the final segment 32 and change. Oh well.

That having been said, miles 2.5 - 6 were gorgeous. I ran late (left the house a few minutes before 10:00 pm (2200 hrs). Significant portions of the trail passes parks and open areas. Thousands of fireflies illuminated the night, and I thought of happy times with my children, and from my childhood, as I was mesmerized by their flickering glow. A few nights ago I was out watching David catch fireflies (we have a "catch and release" policy). David would catch one of these wonderful creatures, and it would crawl all over his hand, glowing, before flying away. What a happy time! I think I'll take David out for walk tomorrow night along the trail. He will be thrilled!

Anyway, the temp was a bit warm (83F), and I'm still getting used to the heat. The sky was beautiful, with a light breeze from the south. Overall, a lovely run.

Pounded the weights on Tuesday. Took today off (sore shoulder) and will be back in the gym early tomorrow morning (actually, its so late now that I'll be lifting this morning).

1 comment:

Gawdess said...

You know, I think you are way too hard on yourself about posting pics until after -30lbs.
Still there are NO pictues of me on my blog...yet. Maybe I will get brave enough to post legs or something.
Good on you for getting a wicking shirt. I love them because cotton just stays wet and sometimes chafe-y!
What a great time for for 3.3! Really, really good.

Thanks for sharing about the fireflies...we don't have them where I live now, but we did when I was a kid and I loved them.

Four years ago I was able to take my two oldest kids and my husband back to my childhood haunt and they were able to experience fireflies.

It was like a magical experience.

Now I want to do the same with my two youngests.

I was always a catch and release person.

Good work!