Monday, June 4, 2007

Round 2 Starts Today!

I started prep for the Kansas City Marathon today. October 20, 2007.

I was scheduled to run a 5 miler. However, I started with a 3.5 mile walk with my wife Jennifer, and that went well (finished in about 60 minutes). I then dropped Jen at the house and ran an 8.5 miler.

My first run was somewhat of an inauspicous start to my training. I reached the zoo (just over 5.1 miles) at a moderate pace (57:17), but my knees became very sore around the 6 mile point so I throttled back substantially and decided to "slow and go" the rest of the way. Unfortunately, I ran out of steam around the 7 mile mark. At about the 8 mile mark, I figured out my problems. First, I forgot to eat breakfast or lunch before running, so I was running on a completely empty tank. Dumb. Second, this was my warmest running day (by far) this year. The temp was 80F when I ran past the various bank signs, but all of my other runs this year have been at 68F or less (with at least half being at 30F or less). Given the conditions and my body's need to adjust to warmer temps, I should have run the scheduled 5 miler. Lastly, I was wearing a polyester (cool weather) running shirt on a warm day. Double dumb.

Time was horrible, 1:48:07. But, the slow down was a good idea as I didn't want to suffer a stupid injury, especially on the first day.

I iced my knees, which felt good.

In the evening, I went to the Y with Cornell and Lindsey and pounded the weights and my abs. I have completely scrapped my "maintenance lifting" idea because it didn't work very well. I did maintain some of my benchmarks, most notably in my triceps and biceps, but I lost a lot of upper body strength in my presses and flys. Restoring it will take at least three months or more.

I jumped on the scale and almost cried! I lost a lot of weight prepping for the Lincoln Marathon, but I gained back 4.5 lbs in my recuperation month! I need to shed quite a few pounds to make my time goal in October. I thought of getting down to my heavy weightlifting weight (222 from 2003-2005) but, given my age (45), I should probably drop down to my old fighting/military weight (198) and call it good. Unfortunately, 198 is probably 9 months to a year away.

No run scheduled tomorrow. Court in the morning and afternoon, office visits in the middle of the day, and I'm handing out a takehome final to my rules of criminal procedure class tomorrow evening. So, I'll recuperate tomorrow and go again on Wednesday.

1 comment:

Gawdess said...

No breakfast and no lunch?
YOu are a mad man!

And that was quite a distance to put in.

On Sat. I did 3.5k and then just now I did 4k.

And I hate the scale.
I don't weigh myself anymore, I just try to eat right and put out a lot of energy!