Sunday, June 24, 2007

Wimpy Week!

A wimpy week or, if you prefer, a weak week.

I hit the trails 4 times, with a great (for me) 3.3 mile run time and a decent 8.5 time. But, did a 3 mile"fire fly walk" with David on Thursday instead of a 5.5, and scrubbed my scheduled 12 miler on Saturday morning for a 2 mile (or so) mid-afternoon cross country run with the Eliker sisters at our annual church fair. Overall, only 17 miles for the week. And, I lifted weights only once!

The cross country run was very different for me. I normally run on asphalt, cement trails, or crushed limestone trails. This was truely cross country because, for the most part, there was no trail at all, and the grass was shin high. We ran at Pioneer's park in a wilderness area; across a field, up a hill, up a bigger hill, down, around, through the trees, up and down some more, etc. And it was hot (90+) and humid.

The Eliker's attend our church, and we had Mark and Fae over to our house on Friday night for a game night and ice cream. Great fun! They have a number of children, and all are cross country and track types. I ran with three of their daughters (two are in college and one in high school). All currently compete, or have competed, in cross country and track. And they are fast. Fortunately for me, one of the girls (who runs cross country and the 400 meter in track) is recovering from a surgery, so they had to take it a bit slower. Otherwise, I would have been toast!

This week will have to be a bit more productive as far as the mileage goes, because next week we'll be on vacation (July 1-9). I have a hearing on the 9th, but that's the only work related thing I'm going to do that day. I'm not sure how much running I can get in, because we'll be visiting K2 at Ft Hood in Texas, but he has a stress fracture so he won't be able to run much. We shall see.....

2 comments:

Gawdess said...

The cross country sounds really good!

Here there are more than a few really fast people who have tried runs like that or even on trails and DNF (did not finish) because the workout is so different from what they are used to.

It is tough.
The heat gives me the willies too.
Sounds like you had a great week in a lot of ways.

The firefly walk was so cool.
I've been paying for the 12k I did on asphalt on Saturday. My hips didn't like it, my feet neither, they much prefer trails.
But you do what you gotta do!

Jennifer said...

Don't forget the Salt Dogs game on the 9th