Friday, June 8, 2007

Rest and Weights

My first official week in prep for the Kansas City Marathon. Light running, but heavy lifting. I pounded the weights Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I took yesterday off (heavy workload and I gave a final exam to both my classes last night), and will heavy lift (shoulders and arms) tonight. I have a 10K tomorrow morning (the Havelock 10K), so I won't lift again until Monday.

I decided that I should probably work on my legs one day per week. On Wednesday I did squats, abductions and adductions, leg curls, and hamstrings. I wanted to do leg presses, but if I start doing that again my thighs will get huge again and slow down my running even more. I tell my son that the gym is no place to get goofy and competative, but every time I jump on the sled I start ramping up the weight and doing mega sets. A couple of years I ago, I did a set of "show off" reps at over 900 lbs to Jennifer, K2 and Heather. Fortunately I was not injured. I don't know why I get goofy near the sled, so for now I'll just avoid it and keep my knees intact.

I'm using lighter weights and more reps on the squats, and as I sit here I'm pretty sore!

1 comment:

Gawdess said...

You are inspiring me!
I am thinking about getting a chin up bar for my house (just not enough time in a day to get out to a gym yet) for help with upper body and core strengthening.
I used to rock wall climb fairly regularly and that was a fun and great workout - maybe I can fit it in again.
Good idea to stay away from the sled :)-knees are so important in running.

Good luck with your 10k and enjoy, hope the weather is good and if it is too hot, stick some ice in your cap :),