Monday, June 4, 2007

Kansas City Marathon

The first marathon went well, so its time to do it again! I will be running in the Kansas City Marathon on Saturday October 20, 2007.

Here's the plan!

1. Goal Time: 5 hours or better.

2. General Plan. I download the course elevation chart, reviewed the video of the course, and compared all of this to my training stuff and my goal in finishing in 5 hours or less. The course is a bit hilly, with three major (to me, anyway) hills in the route. The key to finishing on time will be to focus on my endurance so I can reduce my walking splits in the last 11 miles from a 7:30 run/2:30 walk split to a 17:30 run/2:30 walk split. Also, the further I can run without walking, the better.

I will need to improve my first 15 mile time only marginally (about 21 minutes). I can achieve this kind of improvement because my previous times were so slow. Improving from a 7 minute mile to a 6 minute mile is unreasonable to expect in this short space of time. Improving from an 11:30 mile to a 10:30 mile is very reasonable.

3. Schedule. I created a 20 week plan, which includes the Marathon itself. I need to run about 500-550 miles to prepare, so I scheduled just over 660. After cancellations and the like, I should hit my actual goal just fine. I prepped for my last marathon by running over 680 miles. However, only around 360 of those miles were in the 16 weeks preceeding the marathon. Several runs were canceled due to weather, and I lost a few runs do to illness or injury. In retrospect, the limited mileage was probably a good thing, as I was so heavy that running any more than this could have caused a major injury. The rest of the running plan worked great, and I'll repeat most of it this time.

4. Planning for Hills. This Marathon has three major hills, so I created 2 "hill" routes. They are not quite as steep as the hills will be in Kansas City, but these are the biggest hills locally available. The first big hill comes around the 2 mile mark, so my new route hits the hill at about that same distance. I can run it as a 3+ miler, a 5 miler, or an 11+ miler. If I run it as a 5 miler, I will have a smaller hill at the end. If I run it as an 11 miler, I'll have the long uphill on 48th Street as the end.

The second route will be on 56th street. The distance from Van Dorn to Hwy2 is about 1.9 miles, with a big hill in the middle. So, I just back and forth on 56th street, up the hill and down the hill, until my legs fall off.

5. Weights. In retrospect, the "maintenance lifting" idea didn't work well at all. In February I was benching 245, but in May I was struggling at 205. I want to be back to 300 lbs before the marathon. I will pound my upper body, with only light lower body lifting.

6. Nutrition. I'm starting that piece much earlier (actually, it begins when I get out of bed this morning). I get 1 soda only on my cheat day (Friday). Sweets and similar crap are gone. Lots of complex carbs and protein.

7. Weight. I'm still too darn heavy. I want to lose an additional 30 lbs by race day. That's not quite 10 lbs a month, which should be do-able.

8. Sleep. I made major improvements in my sleep but, as you can tell from the time on this posting, my sleep is still imperfect. I will be working on that heavily over the next few weeks.

That is the gist of my plan. It starts when I awake in the morning!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

So am I to keep you to these commitments - sleep? soda? etc?