Sunday, March 23, 2008

14 Mile Jog on the MOPAC Trail

Needed to start running longer distances, so I went 14 miles on the MOPAC trail. I had not runned a long route since the last Marathon (October) so, with a 10 miler coming up next Saturday and the next marathon only 43 days away, this was a bit overdue but I have been unable to fit it into my schedule.

The MOPAC Trail is ideal for this purpose. The trail is crushed limestone and is in good condition. The surface makes it a slower run, but one that is softer on the knees and joints.

My object was not to worry about speed, but rather just get the miles in. I wanted to run the first five, do splits on the rest, and finish without injury. I met that that objective, but with a few modifications. Most notably, I wanted to run longer, but the weather did not fully cooperate. The temp ranged between 37 - 40, but the wind was nasty in spots. The terrain flattens into lightly rolling hills, and by the 5 mile mark a person is pretty much in the open without protection from the wind. I was wearing my new thermal underarmor stuff, but the wind went right through in spots which made the run very difficult.

Also, I ran "heavy." Namely, I planned for a longer distance, so I wore my CamelBak which weighed just over 20 lbs. Hydration was not an issue, but the extra weight slowed me even further.

Anyway, I ran the first five, then went into a mile walk, mile run interval scheme. The first 5 miles were slow: at 12:33, 12:43, 14:10 (bathroom break), 13:23, and 14:43 (had to make brief stop). Not nearly the time I get on cement, but considering the weather and the 20 lbs of crap on my back, I was pleased.

I then went into an alternating 1 mile jog, 1 mile walk interval. But I made several stops which skewed the numbers (take pictures, remove rock from my shoe, use the bathroom again, etc).

Overall, it was slow, but was a good long run. No injuries!

No comments: