Wednesday, March 5, 2008

General Crap

Met with Jen (the better half) this afternoon to discuss the entire pre-race program and review my logs from my first two marathons last year.

During my 8.5 mi last Saturday, which was my first jog in weeks, my gastroc's hurt in the same way as they did in the Kansas City Marathon. After reviewing the stats, one fact became very clear. I ran two long runs (24.5 and 21.5) and several semi longs runs within 6 weeks of my first Marathon last May. My longest run in the entire two months before Kansas City in October was, however, only 12 miles. While it is true that my running for KC was a bit harder because of the number of hill routes I ran, the fact remains that I had only 1 long run before KC, as opposed to numerous long ones before Lincoln. We think the long runs stressed and prepared my body in ways that the shorter but hillier runs did not. We are going to do several longs runs (10+) over the next seven weeks, and do only 8.5's or less in the remaining 1 1/2 weeks.

The next issue is that I pounded the weights after Lincoln, and I went into the KC Marathon a lot stronger - and a lot heavier. A lot was muscle, but a lot was flab (as was painfully evident in the race pictures). Over the next seven weeks, we are going to strip off as much weight as safely possible. I'll stop the weight loss a week and a half before Lincoln in May.

We are integrating (to a limited extent) the diet piece with the running schedule. I'll do a mini pasta feed before each long run.

I really want to do the five mile 2-a -days, but I'm worried about getting shin splints or stress fractures. I'm a bit heavy right now and we're getting a late start do to unavoidable issues, and the extra stress on my legs could cause problems. If I can do an occasional 2-a-day, it won't be two 5 milers, but rather a 3 and a 5, two 3's, etc.

State Farm 10 miler at the end of the month. Woo Hoo! I finished last year in 118 minutes and change, and I'll try to pare that a bit this year.

No comments: