Saturday, March 29, 2008

Ugh! My 10 Mi Time Pathetic, but David Get's a PB!


There is no way else to say this. My time sucked. Horrible. Icky. Pathetic.

The weather was a bit cold and breezy, with the starting temp at 37F and winds out of the southeast gusting up to 15 or so miles an hour. Not ideal conditions, but the weather really was not a significant factor. I just ran slow.

Here's the official stats. My time was 2:07:59, which was 9:05 slower than last year. There were 692 runners in the 10 mile race, and I finished in ...... 681st place! Woo hoo for me! And, I finished ahead of 4 other men! Last year, I was the last male finisher. So, I met one goal (not be the last male finisher) but I missed the other goal quite badly (finish in under 2 hrs).

To make my two hour goal, I had to keep each mile under 12 minutes and then have a little kick at the end. I started well, completing the first mile in 10:31. I then slowed considerably but settled into a good rhythm, and reached mile 2 at 11:55, mile 3 at 12:09, and mile 4 at 12:01. Three straight miles paced in a 14 second window is about as goos as I've done, so I was pretty happy. And, at this point I was still 1:24 ahead.
Things fell apart from there. I reached mile 5 at 12:54, 6 at 14:12, 7 at 12:51, 8 at 13:25, 9 at 14:28, and mile 10 at 13:29. I did sprint splits in miles 7 and 8,with a sprint to the finish at mile 10. Hence, each of these miles was under 13:30. Still way over, but not nearly as bad as miles 6 and 9. I did not do sprints in either of those miles, so my times there are horrible.
The track club kept some weird statistics this time. They officially recorded our first 3.45 mile time, the second 3.55 mile time, and the last three miles. I have no idea why they did this. Anyway, I completed the first segment in 39:48 (avg 11:32 per mile), the second segment in 46:47 (avg 13:11 per mile) and the final 3 mile segment in 41:25 (avg 13:39 per mile)
In other words, I stunk up the course.

Now, the kiddies.

David ran brilliantly. He finished his mile in 9:08, which is a new personal best (previous best was 9:14). Not bad for an 8 year old. He finished 86th out of 229 runners. I counted only 8 runners his age or younger who finished before him. Setting a personal best by 6 seconds on the first race of the season is an excellent accomplishment.

Our foster boy, age 12, ran a good race as well. He finished in 10:31, and placed 152 out of 229. This was only his second race, so we were proud of his performance.

Jasmine, age 14, became a little lost on the course and did not finish. This was her first race, and hopefully she will have better luck on the next race in three weeks.

Anyway, we have a bunch of work to do to get me ready for the marathon, because if today is any indication, it'll take me a week to finish!

No comments: