Thursday, March 27, 2008

General Update

Not quite the running week I had hoped for, but that's ok.

I woke up Sunday with a fairly large blister on the side of my heel from my Saturday run. Unusual location, and I think it was caused by my removal of my arch supports. So I took Sunday off (as usual), but I also took Monday off because of the blister and because the "rubbed raw" spot on my thigh had gotten a bit worse. Ran Tuesday with the kids, and that included a big "sprint to the finish" up the little hill to our house. I was pretty tired and was resting, and didn't quite make it out for my 5 miler.

Ran my 3.3 mi "speed circuit" yesterday. Time was not great, but I finished faster than expected and finished quicker than I did last year at this same time. While the 8.5's are key to my endurance, I run hard on the 3.3's so they help with endurance and also help me develop speed.

Tonite, I'm going to run with the kiddies, take a break, then do my 5.5 mi circuit. Won't set any records, but I will try to cut at least a full minute off my previous time.

Concerning the arch supports. In my prep this time last year, I kept getting lower back pain and sore shins on my longer runs. My back really hurt after the State Farm 10 miler last year, so I bought an expensive shoe insert that has a solid platform that extended from my heel to my midfoot and a solid arch, all covered with foam. My back pain went away immediately. Shortly thereafter, my shoes started to fall apart, so I bought my first pair of Nike +'s. They were wonderful but wore out quickly, so I bought another pair and more inserts. I was recently analyzing my shoe wear and started to wonder if the inserts were causing my feet to roll out too far. Further, I realized that I had never worn either pair of Nike's a single time without the inserts. So, a couple of weeks ago I took out the inserts and put the original lining back in, and my running seemed to go just fine! I'll see how my feet and back feel after the 10 miler on Saturday. If all goes well, I'll just skip the inserts. Anyway, the inserts were pretty large and my shoes have a different feel with the original inserts, which I think is the cause of the blister. We shall see.

No comments: