Sunday, March 16, 2008

50 days till my next Marathon!

My next marathon is only 50 days away! To celebrate, I was going to treat myself to a lovely 12 mi on the MOPAC trail on Saturday morning, but I had to cancel the run to recover from a minor injury. My compression shorts are a year old, and the inseam separated in one spot for a couple of inches. I hadn't worn them in a while, and during my 8.5 mi run on Thursday the separated inseam rubbed a nasty raw spot on the inside of my thigh. I treated it Friday morning, but as I was stretching on Saturday morning it started to hurt. I checked it out, and it was a bit wider than I thought - about 2-3 inches. It was also a bit nastier, and is in a bad spot. So, I scrubbed my scheduled 12 miler to let my leg heal.

Running has been a very low budget affair so far. I have good shoes and a decent watch, but my running clothes are mostly t-shirts, sweats, and an extra layer of stuff on cold days. Garmin's and heart monitors are on the wish list, but with the current budget they'll stay on the wish list for some time to come. BUT, I was able to treat myself to a new pairor compression shorts, and this time I got the thermal, full length kind. Expensive at $45.00, but I needed them.

I am way behind schedule when compared to last year, but for reasons I've already explained. Regardless, in Jan and Feb of 2007, I ran a combined 137 miles. This year in that same period, a whopping 10.5 mi. Obviously, if I try to "catch up" I'll just injure myself, but I'm still trying to push just a bit. I ran just over 105 miles in March 07, and by the 15th I had completed 29.5 miles. By March 15th this year, I have already completed 43.25.

The next 35 days will be big running days, and will include 1 very long run (20+mi). I did 2 last year during the same time (24.5 and 21.5), but under the circumstances I'll take additional runs with less total miles over an additional very long run (with its accompanying 2-3 extra recover days). We shall see. I will make another comparison in a few weeks to see where I stand.

Stretching and running going well, with no significant injuries so far. Both shins and my left arch are a little sore and my back has been a bit iffy, but overall no major issues. Still hacking a bit from last month's bronchitis, but I'm getting my wind back and have resumed sprint splits.

I've been wanting to work on my 3.3's because that's where I work on my speed, but my coughing has pretty much precluded running any faster than a jog pace. Hopefully, I'll be healed enough to run at least one 3.3 by the end of the week.

No comments: