Friday, March 7, 2008

First Week Goes Well

I concluded my first week back on the running paths by running a 5.5 mi hill route on Thursday, and a quick 2.2 mi on a treadmill on Friday.

I've been off (from running, that is) for quite some time for reasons I have discussed previously. The plan for the week was to go a slow and steady pace, complete the runs, focus on form, and not cough up a lung. No sprint splits or fast runs.

Thursday's run was excellent. The weather was a clear and sunny 36F at the time I started, with almost no wind. I ran the hill route in reverse, and my only goal was to finish faster that I did on Tuesday (77:22). I finished in 72:58, which is by no means a fast time but is still 4:24 faster that Tuesday's run. Further, the 77:22 run was made late at night and I didn't have to stop for lights. I lost at least 1:30, perhaps more, on this run from three traffic lights and the need to cross 56th to get around construction. I focused tightly on my form and did a "mini sprint" to the finish. Considering how my January and February have gone, I was pleased with my results.

I was planning to run a 3.3 Friday morning, but the weather did not cooperate. In a stunning embarassment to our weather people, we had a lovely snow storm late Thursday nite. Not only did the weather report miss it completely, weather web sites were still reporting decent weather even as the snow started to fall. By morning one weather forcast was predicting a low of 14. I drove the kids to school, and the weather was -2F, with a wind chill of -18F! So, the best I could do was get to the YMCA shortly before it closed, and I went 2.2 miles. Better than nothing!

In the first 7 days of the month, I went 21.95 miles. Not a lot of miles, but considering the circumstances I am pleased.

No comments: