Thursday, March 1, 2007

February Review

Now that February is over, its time to evaluate our progress for the month.

Running: My goal was 18 running days and 110 miles for the month. I had 12 running days and ran just under 88, so I was 6 runs and about 22 miles short. The biggest single factor was the weather, and 5 of the 6 missed are attributed to snow, extreme cold (under 20 degrees), or both. I ran only 3 times in the first 10 days of the month because of snow and very low temperatures. I don't normally run when the temp is less than 20, but became so desperate because of the weather and I violated that rule a couple of times.

Despite missing some runs, I made good progress. I substantially reduced my 3.3 mile, 5 mile, and 8.5 mile run times. Further, I had 8 runs over 5 miles and 3 runs over 10 miles. My previous monthly best was 4 runs over 5 miles and 1 run over 10 miles. I didn't beat my previous best mont's total mileage (123.2 mi), but I am scheduled to pass that mark this month.

Weight Lifting: Right on schedule. I'm doing "maintenance" lifting so I don't experience a sharp reduction in muscle mass because of the running (muscle is easier to burn than fat, and studies show that high stress levels, like those I experience daily in my job, cause bodies retain fat. So, I lift to convince my body that I need the muscle). I lifted 8 times, which was sufficient for this purpose. And, I'm making decent progress in regaining some of the strength I've lost.

Nutrition: An abomination! Today is the first day of the new nutrition schedule. We'll see if that improves this area.

Sleep. Jennifer has pointedly informed me that I am not sleeping enough (what's new?) for my body to recover from the long runs. At her insistance, I now have to keep a sleep log until race day. Oh well.

Health: Excellent, and no real injuries in February, which is a blessing. Left knee is a bit sore, I had only one blister, and I tweaked my back on the 14.5 miler when I tripped over uneven cement (I had to remove my glasses again because they fogged up, but I tripped on a stretch of sidewalk that I've run on at least 50 times or more). But, no muscle pulls and no shin splints so far! woo hoo!

Overall, I think we made solid progress in spite of the weather, and I look forward to an even more productive March. I have a 10 miler at the end of the month, and this will be a good benchmark of how well I'm doing.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Since you HAVE TO keep a sleep log does that make me your trainer? Love you