Thursday, March 29, 2007

Wed, 28 Mar: last big run before Saturday's race

Great run tonight! Ran 8.5 mi on the standard route in preparation for Saturday's race. Took the hill last for training purposes. Completed the run in 1:43:49, which beat my previous best time by 2:19. Woo Hoo! Reached the first split at 28:51, the 5 mile mark at 58:22, and the third split at 1:24:xx (forgot the seconds). Completed the uphill stretch (1.5 miles) in 19 minutes and change, which for me is excellent.

I think several things contributed my improved time. The biggest factor, I think, is that I wore my new contact lenses for the first time ever on a run. Generally, my glasses fog up around the 1.5 - 2 mile mark so I have to take them off, but my vision is so poor that I have to stare at the ground in front of my feet so I don't trip and fall. My inability to see causes me (subconsciously, I think) to slow down, and staring at the ground with my head down causes poor running posture and form, which also impacts my time. I also think that running with my head down puts extra pressure on my back. My back is only marginally sore after this run, compared to being very sore every time I run over 3 miles. Keeping my head up also helps my breathing, and helps me get a better sense of how fast I am running. Also, since I could see, I was able to jog most of the path by the zoo, even though it was a moonless night. As I recorded earlier, I normally have to walk this entire segment when running at night because the asphalt is very uneven, and I can't see well enough to run it. I still walked 2 minutes (I hit the path when it was time for a 2 minute walking cycle), but was able to run the rest.

Next, I learned an important lesson on my 24.5 miler last Saturday. As I noted in my blog, I sprinted the last 1/3 mile or so, and it was the fastest I had run all day. To know that I could sprint after going over 24 miles is quite emboldening.

Finally, I incorporated 8 or 9 "30 second sprints." I haven't sprinted much (except at the end), but whenever I did sprint I would follow the sprint with a walking phase. This time I followed my usual pattern (jogged the first leg - 2.6 mi - then went into my standard 8/2 walking cycle). But, I mingled the sprints within the 8 min jogging phase, and completed a sprint no sooner than 1 minute before a walking phase. Going from a sprint to a walk slows my walk, while going from sprint to jog, then walking after the jog, helps me keep my walking pace faster.

The bottom line is that I was so far ahead of schedule from the vision improvements and sprints that I was afraid of burning out, so I added 1 minute of walking on 3 of my cycles, and threw in 1 minute of walking at 2 various points on the last uphill, yet still run a personal best time. (In all fairness, the fact that I didn't have to walk the entire segment in front of the zoo helped as well).
This was my last "long" run before the State Farm 10 miler on Saturday. I am off Thursday (weights only), and will run a light but timed 3.3 on Friday morning.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you should listen to music that has a consistant rhythem while you run.

Unknown said...

good luck tomorrow

Kurt P. Leffler said...

Becca,

Thank you for your comments!

I started carbo loading last night (hopefully, because of my age, it won't turn to fat by tonight). I bought a nifty pair of running shorts (I currently wear sweats), have some high tech ankle high socks, and I think I'm ready.

Back in my fighting days, I'd play music with a heavy beat while I was pounding on the body bag. Found it very helpful, but I apparently forgot that lesson. I have an IPOD (4 mb type) and have a running play list, but I picked songs based on what I like and not the beat. In other words, many of the songs on my "running" play have a beat conducive to sleeping, not running. I'll have to fix that for the Marathon.

According to my math, I should finish somewhere between 2:05:00 and 2:10:00. However, I always run by myself and have noone to push me, but tomorrow my competative juices will be flowing a bit (I don't want to be the last finisher), and I really want to finish in under two hours. So, we'll see how well we do.