Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Tuesday, Mar 20

An experimental running day, with mixed results. I went 12 miles on the MOPAC trail, but experimented with splits being distance instead of time. I ran the first 5 mi (had to walk for several minutes because I received two phone calls that were important to my hearing tomorrow, but I couldn't run and talk at the same time) then changed my jog-walk split so that I walked and jogged alternating miles. I walked from the 5 mile marker to the 6 mile marker in just over 16 minutes (a 3.75 mph pace). I then ran to the 7 mile marker, completing it in 12 min and a few seconds (just under a 5 mph pace). I walked mile 8 in around 16 minutes (still good), but had difficulty running mile 9. I felt as though my body had adjusted to walking and didn't want to run. I walked to the 10 mile marker, and my walk time now slowed considerably. The last two miles were painful and slow going. Again, I felt like my body had adjusted to a walking pace, and it had no interest in running. I did sprint the last 10o yards or so to the finish (big deal), so I still felt manly after the run.

I had planned to go 15 miles, but the weather did not cooperate. I faced a stiff head wind the entire first 6 miles, and black storm clouds were gathering quickly. So, I turned around at the six mile marker. I literally had just closed my car door when the rain started. I don't know how long it rained because there was no rain at my house (about 6 miles south). Regardless, I ran the last three miles after sunset, and running in the dark, in the rain, and an unlit trail would have been a challenge.

I wasn't running this for an overall time, but rather to test a different theory on splits. It didn't work out so good this time, but I'll give it one more try (in the morning this time) before making a final judgment. In all fairness, I missed 7 runs from illness and I was very sore from my 8.5 last night, so this may not have been the best night to give this method a try.

I ran 10 miles in 2:22:00, which is not good, so I'll try it after my 10 miler on the 31st.

I'm starting to see real value in Becca's suggestion of running twice daily. I spoke with her about it, and think that it might help me with my stamina. I won't be able to run long distances, 3.3 - 5 mi, but no more, because at my age (45 next month) my body may not be able to recover quickly enough. I also run the risk of shin splints. On the other had, I need to average 45 miles per week for 4 consecutive weeks, starting on April 2, and this may be a great way to do it. I'll do two runs tomorrow and rest Thursday, then may run twice Friday and do another long one on Saturday.

No comments: