Saturday, March 31, 2007

Finished State Farm 10 Mile in under 2 hours!

1:58:54! David ran the kids 1 mile race in 9:17. Woo Hoo! David ran a good race (120 out of 291 overall, and 75 of 145 in his division), and I confirmed that I am one of the slowest people alive! But, I finished.

Before the nitty gritty, let's talk about the quirky. My race number, which was emblazoned on the tag thingy that was pinned to my chest, was "666." Yup, that's right. I was "666." (David was 665). I can't tell you how many comments I received from the other runners. To compound the number, I have taught Sunday School for many years, and currently the High Priests Group Instructor! So, when someone made a comment, I told them I was a Sunday School teacher for years, and we all got a good laugh. More number stuff for the overly superstitious is listed in the "UGLY" section below.

I wanted to finish in under 2:00:00, but when I mathed out my strategy I figured I could realistically expect to finish between 2:05 and 2:10. I extrapolated my last 8.5 mi run time to a 10 mi course (2:03: and change), plus added a few minutes as adjustments because that time was a personal best, this race was on a slow surface, rain was a possibility, and other factors. I was a bit nervous because race organizers ask that if a runner cannot complete the 10 mi course in 2 hrs or less, then they run the 5K. My heart wanted me to finish in under 2 hrs, but my head (and calculator) thought it would take longer. Fortunately, my heart won this time (not usually the case).

Friday was beautiful, so I was hoping for a gorgeous Saturday morning. No such luck. The rain started falling around midnight, and the weather at race time was raining and cold. The trail was very wet, and with so many runners quickly became a mess (muddy, lots of puddles). The fast, trained runners who knew how to lift their heels had mud up their legs and onto their shorts and backs. I was a slow runner, so I had mud only up to the backs of my legs to my knees.

Despite the conditions, the competition got me a little psyched!

I finished the first mile in 10:15, and reached the 5 mile point at 55:22. My back started hurting around the 6 mile mark and became quite sore around the 8 mile mark, but I was able to keep up a good pace. When I realized that I could finish in under two hours, I started doing sprint splits (I was worried about sprinting because the trail surface was in poor condition), so I only did 4, not including my kick at the end. I did a sprint split with about 1/2 mile left and, as I rounded the last turn, I could see the clock and knew I could finish in under two hours, so I went into a dead sprint to the finish line. I crossed under the big clock at 1:59:58.

This was a "chip timed" event, which means that each runner is given a timing chip to tie into their shoe laces. While the official clock starts when the gun sounds, our individual times don't start and stop until we cross a special mat at the start/finish line. I started at the very end of the pack, so my time started when the official clock has already ticked off a minute. So, I crossed at 1:59:59, but my official time was 1:58:54.

The Good, the Bad, and the UGLY.

The Good

1. Reached the 5 mile mark in 55:22. I was very happy!
2. I actually passed, and stayed passed, approximately 17 people! This hardly ever happens!!
3. I had an excellent kick to the finish.
4. I walked only for a total of 5 minutes the entire race.

The Bad

1. I don't know how to drink water while running. At the first water station, the water went up my nose, and at the next station I drank the water in such an akward fasion that I felt like I was going to throw it back up. I wear a Camelback when I a 10+ miles distance, so I am drinking from a drinking tube with a bite valve. I have to learn to drink from a cup while running, because I'm not planning to wear my Camelback in the Marathon.
2. My back became sore just after the 6 mile mark, and got worse the rest of the race. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do, but I need to do something.

The UGLY.

1. 291 men finished the race, and in my manly gender I finished in ........... 291st place! There were two guys behind me, but they didn't finish in time to get an official time.
2. 299 women finished the race, and I beat .................. a whopping 17 of those women! And at some point I passed all 17 along the way. Who is da man! Woof, woof, woof.
3. I finished in 573rd place. (573 out of 590).
4. My race number was "666." Fortunately, the initial results were modified a bit, because not only was I "666," but for awhile I was finisher "569" and finished "13" from the last.

Conclusion

I have a lot of corrections to make before the Marathon (now only 36 days away). My goal is still 6 hours, and I think I can make it. We shall see.

No comments: