Saturday, March 24, 2007

I can go the distance. Still slow, though...

I ran a long one today - 24.5 miles on the MOPAC trail. (and right now I am one hurt'n puppy!)

I started at the trail head on 84th Street just south of 'O' Street at around 7:00 am, and ran east to the 12 mile marker and back (with a 1/2 mile detour in Eagle, Nebraska). Total time was 6:42:53.

I averaged a 12:10 pace for the first 3 miles, but then a thunderstorm hit. It was wonderful! Lightning filled the sky in every direction (including a couple of overhead boomers), and rain fell for at least an hour. I was soaked to the skin, and looked like a drown wharf rat. The trail quickly became mushy, which slowed me considerably. My 5 mile time was 1:05:32, and my 10 mile time was 2:18:29. This was three and a half minutes faster than my experimental run of a few days ago, but still 18:29 to slow. I want to run next Saturday's 10 miler in under 2 hours.

Running wet does cause a few problems (wrinkled hand and toes, chafing in places we don't discuss in polite society or on polite blogs, a lot of extra weight to carry, etc). Fortunately, the weather warmed up considerably around 11:00, and I was completely dry by the time I finished.

I left the trail in Eagle to go down to the gas station/general store for a pit stop and to buy a hot chocolate. I was quite chilled, and all the liquid I had on me was cold. As I made my way to the "Casey's General Store," I passed by a lovely little market that had all kinds of good things inside. I went in to buy the chocolate and use the restroom, but the people there refused to let me use their restroom! Needless to say, I will be sending them a lovely thank you note on my business letterhead. Anyway, instead of a short detour, I went at least a half mile (or more) out of my way. I don't shut off my stopwatch for stops, so my official time included bathroom stops, etc, and this detour.

Now I'm back to the same old problem: time. I ran a very disciplined pace, running a 7/3 split from mile 5 to mile 22 (7 minutes jogging, 3 minutes walking). The good news is that I beat last year's 21.5 mile time on this same trail by a whopping 48+ minutes, and this year ran an additional 3 miles in only an additional 4:45. But, I have to complete the marathon in 6 hours. I was almost 43 minutes over that time and still had 1.7 miles to go!

Ok, therapist types, this one is for you. There is no question that I have stubby little legs and I run like a donkey or billy goat. But I wonder if part of my slowness isn't in my head? My back started getting sore at around the 8 mile point, and I had to stretch it out several times the rest of the way. It became quite sore around the 22 mile mark, and I walked most of the next two miles. BUT, when I rounded the last bend in the trail which gave me a straight shot of around .3 miles to the trail head, I knew Jen would be there taking pictures so I broke into a dead run and sprinted the entire distance. It was the fastest I ran the entire day! And, when I finished, I had plenty of energy "left in the tank." Of course, when I got out of the car when we arrived at the house I felt like I was dead, and my back is killing me now. Regardless, I wonder if I have trained myself mentally to be slow? Anyway, please think about it and get back to me.

I love my Camelback. It has a 110 oz water bladder and plenty of room for more stuff. After using it many times now, I cannot imagine how I functioned previously. While I am running I just bite on the valve and drink! I don't have to slow down and get out a bottle, I just keep on going. I did carry addition liquid with me (a couple of sports drinks and a chocolate milk) and I stopped to get those out and drink them, but the Camelback saves numerous stops. It's the best!

No comments: